Jeremy Hunter

Default Ealing-by-Grimsby, Caistor?

Hi, first visit here. My dad is from Lincs (Brigg) and his maternal line comes almost exclusively from Lincs, particularly Caistor. His maternal grandfather, at least one census states he is from a place called Ealing by Grimsby, others say Caistor. I haven't been able to find a trace of the place. Does anyone know about this elusive "Ealing by Grimsby"? Hoping to come up to the area, after visiting Kew (to get more details) to see the places my father's maternal line were born, raised and were buried. His father was unfortunately (for genealogical purposes) Polish, so nigh impossible to trace with any level of ease!

Reputation beyond repute

Possibly Healing - a parish in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor registration district (until 1890 when it was allocated to Grimsby RD).

But why guess? Proof of birth will clarify matters.

When you say they come from Caistor you do mean the parish of Caistor don't you and not the registration district of that name?

Jeremy Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Possibly Healing - a parish in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor registration district (until 1890 when it was allocated to Grimsby RD).

But why guess? Proof of birth will clarify matters.

When you say they come from Caistor you do mean the parish of Caistor don't you and not the registration district of that name?
    Yes, birth certificate records would go a long way to proving these things, unfortunately all I have found is lists, rather than individual records, so far.

Also yes, I think I do, not entirely sure. I need to get a printer and print off what records I can to keep check!

Reputation beyond repute

You have to send off for birth certificates - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

Is it John Tutty, age 30 in 1911 that you're asking about?

The Healing parish registers are on Findmypast and a John Tutty is listed bap 5 Jun 1881 son of Joseph Tutty, labourer of Healing, and Mary Ann.

The birth certificate, which you need to send off for, will show the mother's maiden name and the date of birth.

You may find it worthwhile to pop up to London and spend a few hours in the Society of Genealogists library. The wide range of resources often helps you to forge ahead without guesswork.

Jeremy Hunter

Interestingly, the 1911 Census says "Ealing by Grimsby" for him. That sounds about right, I recognise those names. I have both a free pass on Ancestry for a couple weeks, but also a limited (free) findmypast account. Of the two website, which is most recommended?

Ah great, thanks I didn't know that place existed.

I will look up on that website. Obviously I don't want to guess, I've been fairly careful of only recording dates and names which are written. Unfortunately, around the 19th century, they had no qualms with changing stuff!

I have both a free pass on Ancestry for a couple weeks, but also a limited (free) findmypast account. Of the two website, which is most recommended?
    Different strokes for different folks, Jeremy, as you have access to both you must decide which site suits your needs best, both sites have censuses 1841 - 1911 and the GRO index, however for instance they have different parish records, and a different approach to searching the site, play around and get a feel for them both to see which you prefer.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You have to send off for birth certificates - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp
    references can be obtained form this site

freebmd.org.uk

larkspur

Marriage from FreeBMD
    Jun 1878
    Joseph Tutty and Mary Ann Wilson
    Caister 7a/1377

"Is it John Tutty, age 30 in 1911 that you're asking about?"
    Again from FreeBMD
    Birth Jun 1881
    John Tutty
    Caister 7a/672

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

cristinln8

I have found that because some information in the past was handwritten, the information can be misleading through spelling mistakes . I wonder if the elusive Ealing by Grimsby is in fact Healing which is near Grimsby. Hope this helps