Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Question William Henley Jr from Worplesdon, Surrey

Hi. I'm trying to trace the immigration details of my gg-grandfather William Henley Jr. Born 25 March 1859 in Worplesdon, Surrey, (baptised in St Mary's Church) to Parents William Sr and Jane Hedge Henley (nee Strudwick).

He had older sisters Frances, Mary and Jane and I think he may be the 2nd William born to the same parents, the first one being born in 1856 and possibly dying as an infant(?)

He appears on the 1881 census as still residing on the farm in 3 Pitch Place Worplesdon. He was married in Sydney Aust on 4 August 1886 to Susan Jane Pickett (whose massive family bible is our family heirloom).

I cannot find any record of his arrival in Sydney between 1881 and 1886. I've hit that infamous brick wall. Can someone please help?

MadeleineNZ

There are records in Ancestry for Wm Henley birth abt 1860 bound for Sydney on the ship Clifton. In the Victoria, Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger lists 1839-1923 and in the New South Wales, Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger lists 1826 - 1922

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. I did come across a William Henley in some passenger lists, but it wasn't my William Henley.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineNZ View Post
    There are records in Ancestry for Wm Henley birth abt 1860 bound for Sydney on the ship Clifton. In the Victoria, Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger lists 1839-1923 and in the New South Wales, Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger lists 1826 - 1922
    I've checked this lead out MadeleineNZ and it's not him - this record is from 1853 - he wasn't born yet. Thanks anyway!

pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by missmandyjane View Post
    I've checked this lead out MadeleineNZ and it's not him - this record is from 1853 - he wasn't born yet. Thanks anyway!
    I'm not sure what you mean by that?

The record Madeleine pointed out in thread #2 was a passenger list for the year 1882.

William Henley age 22, single, English, going to Australia.
    The ship Clifton departed London on 22 Feb 1882 and arrived Sydney 3 or 8 May 1882...so its a good potential candidate to be your William.

If William was born 25 March 1859 then he is on Ancestry NSW Public Service Lists 1859-1960.

Listed under: Dept of Lands, clerical division.
    William Henley b 25 Mar 1859
    Clerk.
    First appointment to Service: 20 Dec 1882
    - there is a single entry which has William listed as 'Temp Clerk' on 1 Dec 1882.

Seems your man William travelled to Australia before December 1882.

Rebecca

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that?

The record Madeleine pointed out in thread #2 was a passenger list for the year 1882.

William Henley age 22, single, English, going to Australia.
    The ship Clifton departed London on 22 Feb 1882 and arrived Sydney 3 or 8 May 1882...so its a good potential candidate to be your William.

If William was born 25 March 1859 then he is on Ancestry NSW Public Service Lists 1859-1960.

Listed under: Dept of Lands, clerical division.
    William Henley b 25 Mar 1859
    Clerk.
    First appointment to Service: 20 Dec 1882
    - there is a single entry which has William listed as 'Temp Clerk' on 1 Dec 1882.

Seems your man William travelled to Australia before December 1882.

Rebecca

thanks Rebecca. The list that I (and my friend also) found was this

https://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1...l=ReturnRecord

I have since found the list that you and Madeleine are referring to. I hope he is my William Henley - it's been like searching for a John Smith!!

Cheers
    Mandy

MadeleineNZ

Mandy

I couldn't help but look further into William. In Ancestry I used 'search all records' and asked for Australia records only. There are family trees that have William in them and there is a death record as well as all the public service records. You can even see how much he was earning, in the public service records.
    Cheers
    Madeleine

Robert Henley

I am Robert Henley, grandson of your William Henley.
    Quote Originally Posted by missmandyjane View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to trace the immigration details of my gg-grandfather William Henley Jr. Born 25 March 1859 in Worplesdon, Surrey, (baptised in St Mary's Church) to Parents William Sr and Jane Hedge Henley (nee Strudwick).

He had older sisters Frances, Mary and Jane and I think he may be the 2nd William born to the same parents, the first one being born in 1856 and possibly dying as an infant(?)

He appears on the 1881 census as still residing on the farm in 3 Pitch Place Worplesdon. He was married in Sydney Aust on 4 August 1886 to Susan Jane Pickett (whose massive family bible is our family heirloom).

I cannot find any record of his arrival in Sydney between 1881 and 1886. I've hit that infamous brick wall. Can someone please help?

Robert Henley

Mandy, I have more information on William Henley, he did have an older brother William who died when he was 4 years old. William Henley had 4 children, Frederick George, Marion and Gertrude. George Strudwick Pickett Henley was my father and was given the family names of Strudwick and Pickett which he did not much like, I thought they were brilliant. I do have information on Williams father and grandfather. I also have photos.
    Regards
    Robert William Henley

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henley View Post
    Mandy, I have more information on William Henley, he did have an older brother William who died when he was 4 years old. William Henley had 4 children, Frederick George, Marion and Gertrude. George Strudwick Pickett Henley was my father and was given the family names of Strudwick and Pickett which he did not much like, I thought they were brilliant. I do have information on Williams father and grandfather. I also have photos.
    Regards
    Robert William Henley
    Wow! I've only just seen your post as I wasn't notified by email that you had written! I am so excited that you have replied! I see you are from Leura - would you believe I have just spent the last 2 days there. I wish I had seen this post before I went. I would love to correspond with you. I have a couple of photos of your father, one in his WW1 uniform and I also have a copy of his war record. I have traced back to Richard Henley and Elizabeth Hall and am currently trying to verify all their children. Are you on Ancestry.com?
    Kind regards
    Mandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast