Peter1949

Default Hey Walker Conundrum

Am trying to help my cousin in Canada with this query, can anyone help please?

I am looking for a Harriet Hey. She is on a certified copy of a birth certificate I have as the mother of Eliza Jane Walker. Harriet’s husband and Eliza’s father is Richard Walker of Caldwall, Kidderminster. Eliza was born July 16, 1855.

The 1861, 71 & 81 censuses have Eliza with father Richard Walker but the mother is Mary. I was wondering why her mother is listed as Mary in 1861 and Harriet in 1855. Did I have the wrong Richard, the wrong Eliza etc. Others on Ancestry that are looking for the same person have Mary Price as the mother of Eliza but no proof of Eliza’s birth certificate.
    Then I thought perhaps Harriet died before 1861 and sure enough I found a death for a Harriet Walker in 1858 in Worcester and a marriage certificate for Richard Walker and a Mary Price in 1860. I thought I had it solved but I cannot find a Harriet Hey before 1861 in any censuses, nor can I find a marriage certificate for Richard and Harriet.
    I think she may have been born in another part of England other than Kidderminster, Worcester since Richard Walker was born in Yorkshire Halifax according to the censuses.

Peter1949

Just noticed that Eliza Jane Walker living on East Street was married to Joseph Henry Perks July 28, 1883. Eliza was living on East street in the 1881 census so this must be correct BUT the witnesses were Richard Walker and Harriet Walker so I guess Harriet didn’t die! but who is Mary Price? and why is she listed as the mother?

Reputation beyond repute

Your missing marriage may be here -

Marriages Jun 1852
    Hey Harriet Halifax 9a 550
    Midgley James Halifax 9a 550
    Walker Richard Halifax 9a 550
    Wigney Sarah Halifax 9a 550

On a point of interpretation, census returns don't even purport to show the relationship between a man's wife and his children. People often wrongly assume that the wife is the mother of the children but the relationship of the children (son, daughter) is always to the head of the household, not to his wife.

Reputation beyond repute

By the way, the 1852 marriage register is on Ancestry in their West Yorkshire collection.

Reputation beyond repute

the witnesses were Richard Walker and Harriet Walker so I guess Harriet didn’t die!
    I would guess that Harriet Walker the witness would have been Eliza Jane's sister.

Peter1949

Default Hey Walker

Thanks very much for your help Peter, that is most useful, much appreciated from Pete.