Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    quiffdo

Default Peter Gerrighty and Ambrose Ratcliffe

Hello

My two great grand uncles Private Ambrose Ratcliffe (Manchester regiment) and Private Peter Gerrighty (10th Battalion Cheshire regiment) both of which were killed in action during WW1.

Can anybody tell me what sort of information this site would give me about what they did during WW1?

Many thanks in advance

Danny

Hello Danny
    The odds of finding a service record for them is very low as 60% plus of WW1 records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11. You have their regiments, do you have their regiment numbers?
    ancestry are licensed to hold the remaining service records but if they have not survived then investigating their regiments is probably the closest to finding out where they served and when. ancestry and The National Archives hold the Medal Index Roll Cards, do you have these?
    The Long Long Trail site may help, also The National Archives hold some war diaries.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Private Ambrose Ratcliffe
    Born Coseley, Staffs
    Residing at Bilston
    Died 4 Nov 1918 at France and Flanders
    Enlisted Bilston, Staffs 12th Battalion
    Regimental Number - 77091
    Killed in action
    Theatre of War - Western European Theatre
    Comments - Formerly 24810, Lincolnshire Regt.

Knowing the battalion narrows down the search for information on his service activities and finding war diaries.
    Ambrose also appears to have served in the Lincolnshire regiment.
    There is a medal index card for him but I can't see a service record.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Private Peter Gerrighty
    Born St James Birkenhead
    Died 13 Jan 1918 France and Flanders
    Enlisted Northwich Cheshire
    Cheshire regiment 1th battalion
    Regiment number 59637
    KIA Theatre of war, Western European Theatre

Sorry but there is no service record showing for this man either.

Christina
    William Burroughs

SueNSW

Ambrose Ratcliffe - there is no mention on his medal card of the Lincolnshire Regiment so this suggests he only served overseas with the 12th Battalion Manchester Regiment. He wasn't entitled to a 'Star" so didn't go overseas until after 1st Jan 1916 - probably as a reinforcement as the battalion had been in France/Flanders since mid July 1915

The war diary has been digitised and can be downloaded from the NA site for a cost of GBP3.30 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352944

He is not likely to be named individually but it will give you an idea of where the battalion were when he was killed and what they were doing in the time leading up to his death

SueNSW

Peter Gerrighty - very similar situation for Peter - no 'Star' entitlement so overseas after 1st Jan 1916 - again as a reinforcement as 10th Battalion Cheshire Regiment had gone overseas originally in September 1915

Again war diary is available to be downloaded - GBP3.30 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7353361

Lots of general reading available to you at least with the diaries

SueNSW

Always worth a look at the CWGC entry for a soldier who died - Ambrose's entry lets us know he is now buried in ENGLEFONTAINE BRITISH CEMETERY in the departement of Nord - but the documents digitised with it shows he was reburied there in 1923 - having originally been buried at LES TUILERIES BRITISH CEMETERY, ENGLEFONTAINE, - this tells you a little more of its history and location - https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/...ISH%20CEMETERY

Looks like the battalion lost around 35 men that day

quiffdo

Thank you very much for all the info you have both given me I will look into it all and see what I can get from it.

Many thanks

Danny

Danny
    There is a group at St Werburgh's RC Church in Chester who are researching the parishioners who died in WW1. Peter Gerrighty is among the men who were listed in the 1922 memorial. Therefore we may have some information for you. Also one of your relatives visited the church last week looking for information about PG. Please feel free to contact me : crhwrightATgmail.com
    Harper

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ambrose Ratcliffe

Ambrose is also my great, great uncle and I am off to visit his grave and lay a wreath on Saturday, the centenary of his death. would love to know how we're related.

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast