Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    flexipet

Default Looking for information Albert Thomas Cooper

I am trying to find some information on Albert Thomas Cooper who was born in 1844 in London (conflicting information on various certificates also suggests Middlesex).
    His parents were George Cooper who was a stonemason and Elizabeth Stay. I have no dates for their marriage or deaths or any other children.
    I am of the belief that Albert left England on the ship Royal Dane in 1868/69 however I cannot confirm this is a true fact.
    If anyone could possibly shed some light on Albert or the relatives he left behind I would be grateful!
    Kind regards,
    nicole.

janbooth

Hello Nicole,

Could you give us some background information on Albert Thomas COOPER, please, such as where he emigrated to, how you discovered that his parents were George & Elizabeth nee STAY and how you found out when and where he was born, etc. because at the moment I am having great difficulty finding out anything about him or his parents. What is the Warwickshire connection if he is supposedly born in Middlesex? Any details you already have will help us to avoid duplicate research and also hopefully to fill in some of the gaps you have in your research.

Janet

flexipet

Default Albert

I believe he emigrated to Sydney, Australia however I have a marriage certificate for him living in the Queensland town of Copperfield. The marriage certificate states London England as his birthplace.
    On his children's birth certificates, two say London, Middlesex and on another it just says London. On his death certificate it states his birthplace as Warwickshire.
    The marriage certificate states his parents are George Copper and Elizabeth Stay.
    Unfortunately that is all the information I have apart from the fact that his wife was Bridget Croak from Kilkenny, Ireland and I have had little success on tracing her either!
    Thanks so much for your help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not much help BUT

1841 H107 1075 3 Brick Lane Kingston

George COOPER b1806
    wife Emily
    also in the h/hold are an Elizabeth TIMBREL & baby Albert TIMBRELL

Same couple

1851 H107 1603 247 49

Thames St Kingston

George COOPER b 1801
    wife Emily
    + issue &
    Albert b 1844 Islington nephew

flexipet

Default Albert Cooper

Thanks Janet,
    There is also a family rumour - my grandmother was of the firm belief that Albert Cooper was the nephew of Charles Dickens the writer. I have just got in contact with a relative of Albert Cooper's whom I never knew existed and she has told me today that her grandmother was of the same belief.
    How would you suggest I go about either disproving or proving this theory and is it at all possible?!
    Thanks,
    Nicole.

I looked for a birth registration for a Trimbell 1840 to 1841 and there is nothing. However there is a birth reg for an Albert Cooper Dec 1/4 1840 vol 2 page 178. E London registration district.

If Albert was a nephew of Charles Dickens then Charles should have a sister who married a groom surname Cooper. Family stories are there to be investigated and you do it by the normal route of following the family through the years.
    Just reading the Wikipedia account of Dicken's life his parents were John Dickens and Elizabeth Barrow and he was one of eight children. he married Catherine Thomas Hogarth in 1836. To discount the family story you will have to investigate the siblings of both Charles and Catherine. But first you need to find Albert's birth and the Albert geneius found seems like a very good bet. A few years out in age is nothing especially if a person was trying to hide their birth right.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

flexipet

Default Re Albert Cooper

Thanks Christina,
    I was also reading up on some information on Charles Dickens as well. I shall investigate further and hopefully come up with something.
    In the meantime any further information is greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Nicole

Growing old Disgracefully

Just to clarify for you

The district Islington (as in Census Geneius has given you in post 4 - Albert b 1844 Islington nephew) spans the boundaries of the counties of Greater London, London and Middlesex;

The district Kingston ( as in same post Brick Lane Kingston) spans the boundaries of the counties of Middlesex and Surrey

I can not find a birth on FreeBMD for Albert Thomas Cooper born 1844 in any district of England

the only one coming up is the following
    Births Mar 1844
    Albert Edward Boole Cooper Holborn 2 151

flexipet

Default Re Albert Cooper

Thanks Sandy!
    Shall keep my eyes open for anything else.

janbooth

Bear in mind, Nicole, that his birth may not have been registered as registration only started in September 1837 and many births relatively soon after that date were never registered, so you may have to look for a baptism for him. The 1851 census record for Albert COOPER the nephew of George COOPER shows his birthplace to be Middlesex St Georges, but which St George is open to debate.

Still can't find a marriage between a George COOPER & Elizabeth STAY, nor can I find a George COOPER who is a Stonemason in the 1851 census of Middlesex so far!

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast