Starting to feel at home

Default Are these neighbours related?

Was it common for relatives to live right beside each other?

I ask this because in the 1901 Census for Greyabbey, an Eliza Irwin lived at #134, my GG Grandfather William John Davidson lived at #135 and his wife's brother(I believe) lived at #136.

In the 1911 Census for the same place, My GG Grandfather lived at #135 and his wife's brother lived at #136, but a second Davidson family was living at #134. They were living with the Eliza Irwin who had lived beside my family in the 1901 census.

Is this all coincidence, or could this "new" family have been related in some way to my GG Grandfather?

Wilkes_ml

It is quite possible that they could be related, as I have at least 3 incidents of families (from completely different branches) who lived next door to each other. I guess that in the past property owners may have purchased whole streets, so families that grew too large for one small rented house, could easily start renting a nearby one and then rent a direct neibouring house as soon as it became available. It was probably easier for grown up children to have a source of childcare right next door!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

In my experience it's more than likely they are related. My family lived next door to each other or in the same street for generations.

Reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, knowing whether it's likely or unlikely in general experience has absolutely no bearing at all on whether these specific families are related.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Bit tetchy Peter!

Growing old Disgracefully

Only way to find out is to research all of the family's back isn't it.

are these family's in England or Canada. !!1

Starting to feel at home

My relatives were in Greyabbey, Co. Down, N. Ireland. I'm afraid I don't know the area well enough to be familiar with nearby villages, that could have been home to relatives, but I'm sure there could have been relatives from other villages.

My Grandfather married and came to Canada, but died before I was born, and my mom said he spoke very little about his life before.

I'm trying to look at as many Davidson families in the Greyabbey area as possible, just in case some tidbit surfaces. William was a VERY common name, which makes things a bit more challenging!
    Not giving up, just struggling right now!