Janette1169

Smile The ISTG Database

Hello :-)

I have been searching for my Aunt on the ISTG database. However even though i know what year she arrived in the USA, she is not listed. Is the ISTG complete ?
    A while ago i was told about a missed sailings database, could she be on that ? If so can any member with experience in researching these files, point me in the right direction to finding this database or give me any tips on how i could find my Aunt.

Kind regards Janette

Brick wall demolition expert!

Janette

What is the ISTG database?

Ancestry and Findmypast have UK outward bound passenger lists 1890-1960

Megan

Is it the Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild? https://www.immigrantships.net/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Janette1169

Hi Megan, It's the Immigrant ships transcribers guild. It lists all the names of the ships, the dates the ships left our shores and the ships passengers. My Aunt left Ireland 1834/35. So Ancestry's and the Find my past records are too late. However even though i have a date, i cant find her at all. But thank you for your reply Megan, its most appreciated.

Did she arrive in New York? Ancestry has 'New York, Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1850' Also have you looked on the "Castle Garden" website? Why not post your ancestor's name, someone here may be able to find her passenger details.

Janette1169

Almach, thank you for your reply. I never thought to include her name, thanks for the reminder :-) Her name was Bridget McGurk. She was born 1809 possibly in Sligo, Ireland. She had one sister Elizabeth, who lived in Savannah Georgia, she didnt arrive in the US until 1850, so i can exclude her travelling with her sister.
    From her death cert dated 1873, it reads she was in the US for 37 or 38 years.
    She lived in NYC for 28 of those years. So from those dates i calculated her arrival to be anything between 1834 and 1836. I have no idea which port she arrived at, i really dont know where she lived before her time in NY. My guess is she may have left from Liverpool, UK or Belfast, Ireland. Those would have been the closest ports to Sligo.

Hope any member can help, be great to solve this, one of the last pieces to my family puzzle

Hi Janette, I haven't found a Bridget Mcgurk, born circa 1809, arrived circa 1835. There is this record which is the nearest if her surname was mistranscribed which is not beyond the realms of possibility, unfortunately the record is a transcription - no original to check the name against. Her occupation was servant.

Bridget Mcguire, arrived 24 Jun 1834, age 24, departed Sligo, arrived New York on the 'Brig Tagus'.

The castle garden site has the same record, but Bridget's name on their database is Bridget Mcguin. Age 24, arrived 24 Jun 1834, departed from Sligo on Tagus, occ. Gentleman's servant.

Janette1169

Thank you so much ! This possibly could be her. I shall look a little more into this. I found her Husband Robert Johnstons arrival etc, through his emigrant savings bank records i could try and do the same. I never thought of a misspelling on her surname, but sure does look this could be the one. I am most grateful to you. Thanks again

Janette