Default 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

My grandfather Albert Wright was a private in 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster and attached to 7th Irish Royal Rifles.
    No. 241123.
    I have checked and his records were destroyed in WW2. I have contact the Lancaster Museum but got no further information.
    Can anyone tell me if the numbers soldiers were issued was consecutively. If I could find records of someone with a number near his would his signing up date be close to theirs. From a postcard he sent from France he was well on 16th April. He was later wounded in the leg and sent back to UK. His Leave book shows he was in Napsbury, County of Middlesex War Hospital 22nd. October 1918. Does anyone know if records from the hospital still exist. I have his medal certificate but that is all.
    He was a batman for an officer but do not know who and why he was attached to the Irish Regiment. Any help would be appreciated. I have research this for 10 years and have not got very far.
    Many thanks. Mike

Reputation beyond repute

But he was a Territorial was he not? And if he continued in the Territorials after the war, wouldn't you need to follow the advice in the the National Archives guide on Volunteers and Territorials?

Probably easier said than done! The guide doesn't hold out a lot of hope except for trying local archives and regimental museums.

Although you didn't mention it, his medal card mentions two regiments -

Royal Lancaster Regiment 241123 Private
    South Lancashire Regiment 205153 Private

Presumably any surviving documentation would have gone to the second regiment.

Many thanks for your help Peter.
    I presume he was Territorial.
    Can anyone tell me if I can get an approximate date he entered the army by his number 241123.
    Knowing the date would give me some idea where he was in France.
    I have tried the Regimental Museum but did not find anything relating to my grandfather although it was interesting on the background of the regiment.
    Mike

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Victory Medal awarded to ALBERT WRIGHT

Hi Mike
    I have had a Victory Medal that was awarded to your grandfather 241123 PTE. A. WRIGHT. R. LANC. R. in my collection for over 25years. I have done some research and I am listing it on ebay shortly. A detailed description will be shown in the listing. Images of the medal and his medal index card and medal roll are also shown.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by themount View Post

My grandfather Albert Wright was a private in 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster and attached to 7th Irish Royal Rifles.
    No. 241123.
    I have checked and his records were destroyed in WW2. I have contact the Lancaster Museum but got no further information.
    Can any tell me if the numbers soldiers were issued was consecutively. If I could find records of someone with a number near his
    would his signing up date be close to theirs. From a postcard her sent from France he was well on 16th April. He was later wounded in the leg and sent back to UK. His Leave book shows he was in Napsbury, County of Middlesex War Hospital
    22nd. October 1918. Does anyone know if records from the hospital still exist. I have his medal certificate but that is all.
    He was a batman for an officer but do not know who and why he was attached to the Irish Regiment. Any help would be appreciated. I have research this for 10 years and have not got very far. Many thanks. Mike

Hi John,
    Many thanks for your email.
    Does the medal have the name of 241123 Pte A Wright on it ?
    What price are you asking ?
    Regards, Mike