Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jennifer 150

Default Trapeze performer in Circus

My grandfather was a trapeze performer named Tom Hicks although in the circus he was known as Tom Ethardo. The circus name came under George Sanger.Think Tom was born in 1877 in Cardiff and spent his life in the circus as his father did before him, also Tom. His father died when Tom was 16 and his mother and sisters emigrated to America. I do not have names for them except her maiden name was Pugh. Her brother Sam also worked in the circus. It is difficult to pinpoint Tom's wherabouts as they moved around a lot. I can find no marriage for him. His "wife" had 4 children by him Richard b 1912 Mary b 1914 Stanley b 1917 Sylvia b 1921 but they came under the mothers name of Souter. Think she must have married this Souter but can find no record of it as she was born Edith Annie Rouse no record of this either. She may have been born in 1888 in Cambridge (found on the 1911 census). When Tom left the circus when he was just over 50 in the 1930's he got a grocery shop in Gillingham kent but he died in 1937.
    I would just like to know more about him ie his life in the circus, his parents and if he ever married my grandmother or anything else about him.
    Any help please

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a birth registered in Cardiff which could be him:
    Cardiff : quarter April 1877 Vol 11A Page 330.
    Certificates can be bought on line from: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ - the costs is £9.25.

I can’t find a marriage in England and Wales between Tom Hicks and a Miss Pugh that would fit the above birth.

If Tom’s father died when he was 16 this suggests that the father died about 1893. Unfortunately there are 75 Tom Hicks who died between 1891-1895.

I think your best starting point would be to get the birth certificate, since that will tell you his father’s name, occupation and his mother’s name including occupation.

Edith Annie Rouse: this seems to be quite a common name and therefore without knowing where you think she was from, it’s not going to be possible to pin point a birth for her.

I can’t see a marriage in England & Wales between Edith Annie Souter and Hicks or Edith Annie Rouse and Hicks.

Hi
    I have just been taking a look at the birth registrations of the children of Tom and Edith on FreeBMD
    Richard Souter Hardingstone Northamptonshire 1912 mother's maiden name Souter
    Mary M H Souter 1914 Hardingstone, mother's maiden Rouse
    Stanley C H Souter 1917 Wellingbro Northamptonshire mmn Rouse
    Sylvia B N H Souter 1921 Wellingbro' mmn Rouse.

Richard has a different mother's maiden name to the other three and he doesn't have any other middle initials.
    The last three all have middle initials, including the H, and the mother's mn is Rouse. Do you have any of these birth certificates?
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Can you give us the details for the1911census. Name, date and place of birth, address etc?

There is so much about the 'Lord' George Sanger circus online and it makes interesting reading.
    Others also used the name Ethardo including a Naomi Ethardo the European wonder contortionist. Emeline Ethardo, “A distinct Novelty, A Juggler, a Contortionist, a Dancer, an Acrobat, an Instrumentalist. It seemstobe a circus name in use for many years prior to Tom's birth and the circus Sanger ceased in the 1950's although Lord George was killed by an employee in 1911.

No help with finding any info on Tom's birth, or Edith Annie Rouse/Souter unfortunately.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The circus name came under George Sange
    If you google the name you will see that he was b 1827 - 1911 a circus proprietor

https://www.sangerscircustrail.org.uk/stall-sangers.php

Hi
    OK I have found them on the 1911 census at St Leonardo Road? Far Cotton Hardingstone Northamptonshire
    Tom is aged 34 and Welsh born Cardiff. Edith 24 and born Yarmouth? (terrible writing) A circus Artist, with the word theatre after this and crossed out.
    They say they have been married 2 years and have 1 child to the marriage, who isn't with them.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Tom ETHARDO described the modern Grimaldi

on the same advert

Sam PUGH described as
    india rubber clown
    The Staffordshire Sentinel 1877

Good find geneius
    So this ad is in 1877 but our Tom was born 1877 so can't be him? Unless it was Tom's (born 1877) father Tom who was known as Ethardo?

Christina
    William Burroughs

1890 Sheffield Daily Telegraph
    The "ETHARDO" TROUPE. At the Marlborough Street Police Court Stephen Etheridge, acrobat, of Blenheim, Peckham, known in the profession as Ethardo.
    So was Tom working in the Ethardo troupe?
    William Burroughs

TOM HICKS attested 11/12/1915 he states he was a flying gymnast of 27 Cambridge Street Wellingboro. No surprise he did anti aircraft training!

wife Edith ROUSE married Parish Church Yarmouth

Children:

Olga Gwendoline 19/04/1911 Bedford
    Richard 01/08/1912 Hardingstone?
    Mary Mildred 22/04/1914 Hardingstone?

This is a damaged record but worth looking at on FMP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast