Thread: Found Walter!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Found Walter!

My mums younger brother Walter died during WW2... And seemed to be forgotten 4 years ago I set out to find his burial place.. After countless emails to various departments and record offices, and cemeteries with no success.. Even the hospital where he died had no record of him being a patient! I decided to give it one last try and wrote to a funeral home in the town he died... They bent over backwards to help me... And within 2 weeks, today they ended my long search..providing me with a burial date and cemetery.. Wish mum had lived long enough for me to tell her.. The most frustrating thing about my search is I actually wrote to the church where he is buried 3 years ago requesting if they could check their burial records and they never even had the courtesy to reply....I will forever be grateful to the funeral people who helped me search..and now Walter can rest knowing he is not forgotten..

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What wonderful news valg.

And I know the exact emotions you have regarding your find but not being able to tell your mum. By following a hunch after I found out one piece of information, I found where my mum's baby brother and sister were buried when all she'd be able to tell me that the local vicar had refused to bury them because they hadn't been christened.

Pam

janbooth

Fantastic news and it never ceases to amaze me how some people will go the extra mile to help.

Janet

Wilkes_ml

Well done! It's such a relief to finally find someone after many years of searching.

Reputation beyond repute

The most frustrating thing about my search is I actually wrote to the church where he is buried 3 years ago requesting if they could check their burial records and they never even had the courtesy to reply
    Had the record office confirmed that the burial register was indeed still with the church? If so I think the church has a duty to search the register providing you paid the statutory fee (£21 I believe).

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Had the record office confirmed that the burial register was indeed still with the church? If so I think the church has a duty to search the register providing you paid the statutory fee (£21 I believe).
    I wrote to the rector @ The Parish Office to enquire if in fact there were burials for that period (1942) and if so where the records held there or at the record office, their online site states burials to 1891 were held by the record office, but mentioned nothing re later burials, at that stage I thought maybe they had stopped burials then.
    At that stage I had emailed every source I could think of inc the Calderstones Trust, who hold records for Calderstones hospital where he died, they could not find a record of him ever being there.
    But I have an ending, so Walter can RIP now