Thread: Bessie Wade

dvddigby

Default Bessie Wade

Bessie Wade (born c1886 in Wrenbury, Cheshire) emigrated, on 30/04/1907, to USA. She travelled on "SS Saxonia" and arrived at Boston, Massachussetts on 10/05/1907. The first address she was going to is listed as 244 Ruth Av, Phillipsdale, Rhode Island. Her parents were Thomas Wade and Kate Letitia Wade (nee Lightfoot) who did not leave England. Can anyone. please, provide any more information about Bessie, after her arrival in USA?

Brick wall demolition expert!

1910 US Census:
    Besse Wade born 1885 England – living at Pawtucket Ward 2, Providence, Rhode Island. She was a boarder in the house of Sam and Martha Harker, who were English and had arrived in 1905. Besse was working as a Frame **** in a Cotton Mill.

dvddigby

Thank you Megan. Using the USA and Rhode Island census searches on familysearch.org, there is a possibility (by a process of elimination) that she married Fred Hopkinson and they had a son called Thomas F Hopkinson born 23/04/1916. It all seems to fit but I am unable to find the marriage to verify it.

1920 US census
    Pawtucket Ward 6, Providence, Rhode Island
    Fred Hopkinson 33 he and parents born England Immigrated 1906 Naturalised 1911 Overseer of weaving at textile mill
    Bessie Hopkinson 33 she and parents born England Immigrated 1907. Naturalised 1911
    Thomas F Hopkinson 3 years 8 months born Rhode Island

Same details in 1930 and Thomas the only child in the household.

They are at Cumberland, Providence, Rhode Island and Thomas age 24 is still at home, a section hand at a textile mill. Fred is dress tender at a worsted mill.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

dvddigby

Thank you Christanel. I did have the US census details from familysearch.org but they do not show the naturalisation year. I have since browsed through the Rhode Island, District Court Naturalization Indexes, 1906-1991, on that site, and I found the record for Fred Hopkinson (28/09/1912) but I cannot find a naturalisation record for Bessie Wade or Bessie Hopkinson.

Hi
    The 1920 census image definitely says Bessie was naturalized in1911.Now going off the age of their son Thomas (3 years 7 months) so born c1916 it is more than likely that Bessie and Fred were not together in 1911. Maybe the enumerator made a mistake and thought they had both been naturalized. I can also find Fred's record but not Bessie's.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs