Undine

Default William Dalby/Dolby. Born circa 1795

Trying to locate birth of above in Northamptonshire. Believe he married in Glapthorn in 1817 to Hannah Hudson, lived thereafter in Helpston where children born. Think he came into Glapthorn to marry and for Banns to be read, not born there but later census return states born in Northamptonshire. Feel he likely came to Glapthorn from a surrounding village, have been trying to get past this brick wall for years. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Undine

Wilkes_ml

Have you checked the FreeReg, Familysearch, and Online Parish Clerks coverage for this area? None of the databases will be complete, but worth looking at just in case.

janbooth

This looks to be a possibility (source Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812):

13 December 1795 at Bulwick William DALBY son of William & Anne DALBY

Bulwick is about 5 miles from Glapthorn.

Siblings:

Sarah (DOLBY) baptised 13 July 1788 - William shown as a Labourer
    Edmund baptised 11 August 1793
    Sarah baptised 28 September 1794
    Frances baptised 27 November 1796
    Rachael baptised ? December 1797
    Elizabeth baptised 5 March 1799
    Frances baptised 20 October 1800
    John baptised 24 August 1812

All at Bulwick.

The only marriage that seems to fit on the Marriage Index is that of a William DALBY and an Ann BROUGHTON at Wakerley on 20 September 1787.

From the Northamptonshire Burial Index 1751-1812:

26 November 1788 Sarah DALBY daughter of William & Ann
    25 May 1793 Edmund DALBY
    19 November 1794 Sarah DALBY daughter of William & Ann
    27 January 1797 Frances DALBY daughter of William & Anne
    29 October 1800 Frances DALBY daughter of William & Anne
    9 April 1811 Anne DALBY, aged 50
    26 August 1812 John DALBY son of William & Anne

All at Bulwick.

Janet

janbooth

Possible baptism for William DALBY snr:

11 August 1765 at Bulwick son of William & Susannah DALBY

Janet

Undine

thank you very much for your assistance.

Undine

Undine

Thank you very much for your assistance.

undine

Undine

Thank you for your assistance. Bulwick has been a place of interest. I did find a William Dalby who married a Mary in 1813 who might have been baptised in 1795 and therefore probably not the one I am looking for if he stayed married to Mary (not widowed) and had children in Bulwick. if, however she died, there were no children and he disappeared from Bulwick he could be a contender!
    It may be that I will have to look at parish records for this further information.

thank you for all the details you have sent, I will certainly try to follow up. I am most grateful to all for replies received.

Undine

janbooth

A bit more information for you re William DALBY marriages with a Bulwick connection (they may help in the elimination process):

21 October 1811 at Bulwick William DALBY & Ann HOLMES or HOMELS by banns
    16 August 1813 at Bulwick William DALBY & Mary DISON with consent of parents
    14 April 1828 at Blatherwyke William DALBY/DALDY of Bulwick, bachelor, & Ann SCULTHORPE of the parish, spinster, by banns

The marriage of William DALBY & Hannah HUDSON at Glapthorn on 23 December 1817 doesn't give any indication as to whether they were single or widowed, just states that they were both of the parish.

There is a distinct lack of candidates for the baptism of your William DALBY/DOLBY between 1795 & 1801 in Northamptonshire, the only likely one, given his marriage in 1817 and his age on the 1841 census, is that of the William DALBY in Bulwick but I am inclined to think that he perhaps stayed in Bulwick given the marriage in 1813 to Mary DISON (Northamptonshire Marriage Index), the baptisms of several children to a William & Mary DALBY in Bulwick between 1813 & 1819 and the burial of a Mary DALBY in 1822 (Ancestry Select Records). However the only way to be sure of that is to look through the parish registers.

I does not look as if William was a native of either Glapthorn or Helpston as there are no DALBY, or variants, baptisms or burials at either place between 1750 & 1812, so no help there either.

Had you considered, given the proximity of Helpston to Lincolnshire, that he may have been born in Lincolnshire and his family moved over the border when he was very young - not that this helps you find his antecedents at all mind you!

There is a William DALBY baptised at Wisbech St Peter in 1793 according to the Cambridgeshire Baptismal Index, perhaps another county worth consideration.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Undine

Default William Dalby/Dolby born circa 1795

Hi Janet,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this for me. I also came to conclusion that the possible William in Bulwick who fitted dates, did in fact stay put, I will, however,take another look at parish records to confirm one way or another. As to where he could have come from other than here I am not sure and may mean I will have to look at all the surrounding villages and further afield. It may mean going back to Helpston area and those villages also. My feeling is that I have the correct William in Glapthorn be he Dalby or Dolby, just the simple task of locating his birth !!

Many thanks your help is appreciated.

Undine