Thread: Onge family

John Gage

Default Onge family

I have managed to trace one of my ancestors to 1470, but for obvious reasons I am finding it almost impossible to extend it any further back. The ancestor in question is a John Onge, b. abt. 1470 in Suffolk. He was father of Isabel Onge (1498-1526) and my ancestor, another John Onge, b. abt 1500 at Thelnethan, Suffolk. By his wife Joan (mar. 1521) he had 6 children all born between 1522 and 1541 at Barningham, Suffolk. Does anyone know anything about this family and can it be traced further back into medieval times? I have managed to trace Isabels line back, but of course this is not my line.
    Much obliged for any help possible,
    Best regards,
    John Gage

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked at google books for references to the name?

Reputation beyond repute

I would try soc.genealogy.medieval (usenet)

This is the url when using Google Groups -

https://
    groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/soc.genealogy.medieval

But I would strongly recommend using a proper Usenet client to access it rather than Google Groups. Some email clients handle Usenet.

https://www.
    eternal-september.org/ is a reliable free news server.

OngJohn

Default Early Onge Records

John,

There are Onge family records as early as ca. 1280, although linking the various people involves a bit of guesswork and I have not tried (yet) to map it out. But some details on the records can be found on various posts on my blog, ongfamilyhistory.blogspot.com. Regards, John Ong

Quote Originally Posted by John Gage View Post
    I have managed to trace one of my ancestors to 1470, but for obvious reasons I am finding it almost impossible to extend it any further back. The ancestor in question is a John Onge, b. abt. 1470 in Suffolk. He was father of Isabel Onge (1498-1526) and my ancestor, another John Onge, b. abt 1500 at Thelnethan, Suffolk. By his wife Joan (mar. 1521) he had 6 children all born between 1522 and 1541 at Barningham, Suffolk. Does anyone know anything about this family and can it be traced further back into medieval times? I have managed to trace Isabels line back, but of course this is not my line.
    Much obliged for any help possible,
    Best regards,
    John Gage