Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Stannard, York Hotel, Covent Garden

William Stannard was landlord of the York Hotel, 1 Charles Street, Covent Garden, Westminster, from 1803 to 1847. Try as I may, I can't find his death record. Nor is there any sign of him in the 1851 census. Any suggestions? He seems to have been born around 1780, and I haven't been able to trace his birthplace/date either..

The Era, 10 Oct 1847, has an item about the transfer of licences
    "St Paul - York Hotel, Upper Wellington Street, William Stannard to John Green

FreeBMD has the death of a William Stannard, Jun Qtr 1850, Strand, 1 294

The Strand Registration district includes "St Paul, Covent Garden".

Possibility
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Find My Past has the burial record of -
    William Stannard, Bull Inn Court, 18 April 1850, age 4 years, St Paul's Covent Garden

So previous post def. not "your" William.

1851 Census ref HO107 1569 69 71

William Stanard, age 69, Widower, Retired tavern keeper, born Norwich.

Find My Past has a burial record for "Sarah Stannard, Upper Wellington Street, Dec 27th 1846, age 69 at St Paul Covent Garden"

The William Stanard on the 1851 Census is a widower, with his daughter Mary (age 45). The William Stannard, Hotel Keeper at Charles St on the 1841 Census has a daughter Mary whose age would "fit" the 1851 Census (allowing for "rounding down"?).

Trying to link William on the '41 Census and William on the '51 Census.

On the 1841 Census, there is a Catherine Stannard, age 15, at Charles Street. On the 1851 Census there is an Edward Stanard, tailor, age 29, with William.

Find My Past has baptismal/christening records at St Martin in the Fields for a Catherine and Edward Stannard, 12 January 1823, parents William and Catherine, address Charles Street, Covent Garden, occpn Victualler.

On the 1841 Census (ref HO107 667 8 28) there is an Edward Stannard, occpn "appn", age 15, address City Road. The Head of Household is a tailor, which would tie in with Edward's occupation on the '51 Census?

Somewhat remiss of me

1. - re the baptism/christening of Catherine and Edward in 1823. The given names were Catherine Adams and Edward Adams Stannard. Apologies for the omission.

2. A very, very warm welcome to Brit-Gen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Many thanks for your helpful prompts

Wow, am I ever glad I posted here. Thank you Brit-Gen forum, and above all thank you so much, Helechau; I had almost given up on William Stannard. “Knowledgeable and helpful” you are indeed!

The big wow was to see William in the ’51 Lambeth Census – I had dumbly missed that entry for “Stanard”. I never imagined Stannard might be spelled differently, so never ticked the “name variants” box. I had concluded that he had died before the census (having retired in 1847). I also assumed that he stayed in or around Covent Garden. Too many assumptions.

The bonus is that the birthplace recorded in the 1851 census leads me on to his likely 1781 baptism in the Norwich, Norfolk non-conformist register... A breakthrough. And the East Anglian connection makes sense, since most of the old Stannard families I’ve come across are from that part of the world. I now see there were other Norfolk-born Stannards in Lambeth ..

Suddenly inspired by this breakthrough, I believe I have also stumbled on his death registration, which I had despaired of finding. It's still on the north side of the river, in the 2nd quarter of 1854, per Freebmd [Stannard, William Holborn vol 1b p316 <Jun 1854]. I’m so confident that I’m sending off for a copy of the registration from the GRO. Reason for this confidence being that I’ve found the following entry in the “Principal Probate Registry, 1858-1966” on ancestry.com ~
    "Stannard, William, Personal Estate £189. 3s. 1d. 1884. 14 November. Administration of the Personal Estate of William Stannard late of the Charterhouse in the City of London Gentleman a Widower who died 14 June 1854 at the Charterhouse was granted at the Principal Registry to Mary Ann Stannard of 39 Ivanhoe-road, Denmark Park Camberwell in the County of Surrey Spinster the Daughter and only Next of Kin." I’m totally puzzled by the probate date of 1884, which means a 30-year gap between his death and the ratification of his will. Perhaps it was misfiled under 1884 documents, instead of 1854, but that seems pretty unlikely.
    Whatever the reason, I’m pretty sure it’s him, since he was a widower in 1854, and Mary Ann was indeed his only surviving child - both in '54 and '84; also she was unmarried and living in Camberwell in both the 1851 and 1881 censuses. As for the Charterhouse, an upscale almshouse for gentlemen pensioners, it was indeed located in Holborn; he must have been fairly well off having retired after almost 50 years in the hotel business.

By the way, you are quite right, the Sarah Stannard who died in 1846 was Sarah Child, William’s 2nd wife. The address on Upper Wellington Street was that of the York Hotel; recent local reconstruction had extended Wellington Street north of the Strand, and had merged it into Charles Street, which was briefly renamed “Upper Wellington Street” at that time. I Charles Street (on the corner of York Street) became 1 Upper Wellington Street.

As for Catherine Adams Stannard and Edward Adams Stannard, whom you mention, that brings me to the convoluted reason I’m trying to pin down information about their father. They were baptized together (but may have been born apart) just one month before William married Sarah Child, and 2 years after the death of his first wife Mary Money. He never married their mother, Catharine Adams. She may have died recently, or perhaps they had separated, leaving him with the children. But anyway that hints at William leading a rather complicated domestic life, which is why I am tempted to insert a conjectural link of my own.

In family research, I try to avoid starting with a hunch and working back to find documentary evidence to support it. But that’s what I’m doing with William. As you are evidently an experienced sleuth in such matters, no doubt you'd advise me not to leap to too may conclusions.

But here's the thing. My 4x great grandmother was Elizabeth Allcorn. The only concrete thing I know about her is that (per the baptism records of St Paul’s Covent Garden) she was the mother of my 3x great grandmother Elizabeth Stannard Allcorn. ESA was born 1804 and was baptized along with a younger sibling George Alexander Stannard Allcorn in May 1808. There’s absolutely no indication who their father was. Presumably a Stannard.

Elizabeth Stannard Allcorn went on to marry Abram Piguet, a Swiss immigrant watchcasemaker who worked as a hotel porter and waiter in Soho/Covent Garden. George AS Allcorn went on to become a surgical trussmaker, but also for a time was landlord of the Crown Hotel on Stanhope Street, Covent Garden.

Given these associations, I pick up the scent of William Stannard of the York Hotel as the most likely local father of Elizabeth’s two children. She may even have been working for him at his hotel. However, he was married at the time, to Mary Money, and in fact had 10 children with Mary between 1803 and her death in 1820. So his relationship with Elizabeth would have been “on the side” in the scenario I’ve been imagining.

There is some documentation of rental payments and growing arrears between 1812 and 1818 by an Elizabeth Allcorn on Wych Street, Strand, which fits with her single-mother-in-low-paid-work circumstances, but other than that I’ve been unable to find further trace of her existence. Her children married young – ESA in 1826, GASA in 1825 – and got on with their separate lives. But ESA’s first son, Charles Piguet, was given the middle name Stannard, as was GASA’s son George Henry (who later became the music publisher Henri D’Alcorn) – so the connection with their Stannard father/grandfather was celebrated rather than hidden. And I wonder whether GASA’s relative financial success (trussmaking business, hotel) might have been assisted in some way by benevolence from William Stannard, who must have been reasonably well-off and well connected. It doesn’t seem that that benevolence extended to their mother; maybe Mary saw to that!

The final desperately flimsy scrap of evidence I have to go on is what may possibly be Elizabeth’s death record from the Strand Union Workhouse in 1863, at age 86. She’s described there as “widow of a butler” – a marriage which I can find no trace of – but this does suggest some kind of connection with the local hotel/ victualling/ service trade. If that’s her, of course.

Anyway, many thanks for helping me along the way. I’m dazzled by the sudden illumination you’ve provided. I’m conscious of the fact that the father of my 3xgreat grandmother may eventually turn out not to have been William Stannard of the York Hotel, and so not related. I hope not, of course, but the journey of discovery is its own reward. Again, thanks.