Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    eli555

Talking swansea in 1800's-1900's

Hi,
    MY name is Elaine & I am new to this site. I have been researching my family tree for 2 yrs & like many hit a brick wall to move me on. I am looking for photo's of certain areas of Swansea, such as Bargemans Row/court, Dynevor Place, Squire place & Trafalgar terrace. Iv been unable to find any info on these areas although I have a good idea as to where they were. Photo's would certainly help me & if anybody could point me in the right direction as with any family research tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

A very, very warm welcome from a fellow Swansea resident (but not a "Jack")

Have you checked "Welsh Newspapers online" - welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home
    I checked for ""bargeman's row" (include the " " in the search key) and it threw up 239 hits. Haven't checked if they are all Swansea -many/most appear to be.

What about the "Cambrian Index" (on line) - although this is covered now by Welshnewspapers - but is a useful search tool.

You can also check "Old maps" - www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html - put Swansea in the Search box and hit go. You can scroll around the modern map, click on the area you are interested in and then load the "1880 Town Plans".

"Dynevor Place" can be searched for direct.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Swansea Archives - extremely helpful staff. Have you visited and worked through the volumes of photos of old Swansea?

You can search their catalogues on line at www3.swansea.gov.uk/CalmView/Catalogue.aspx

I put the search key "bargeman's row" (without the " " this time) in the Search/Chwiliwch box top right hand corner and had a couple of hits.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,welcome to the forum,,,why not post the details of your brickwall,and see if the knowledgable members here can help?

"Squire's Place"

click on old maps and enter coordinates 265826 193076
    when loaded click on the 1879-80 Town Plans
    You have the Castle as a reference point - it would be about where the BT tower is today on the Strand?.

"Bargeman's Row"

Use coordinates 265868 193880
    Use Bethseda St, Bethseda Chapel or John St as a reference points

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/i...comment-156261

One of the notes mentions Bargeman's Row with a reference point Bethseda St. According to old maps Bargeman's Row almost runs into the railway line.
    On the aerial view, it wd appear to be the small row, bottom right hand corner.

"Trafalgar Terrace"

www.oldukphotos.com/glamorgan-swansea-page3.htm

The main building in the picture is the Bay View pub at the junction of St Helen's Rd and Oystermouth Rd. Sadly, the Trafalgar pub has long gone.

eli555

Thank you so much for the thread, I knew it had to be along Oystermouth rd way because I used to drink in the Trafalgar, (many yrs ago) & felt there must a connection with the area. This is 1 for the album as Im trying to locate addresses that my ancestors lived at but didn't know where to start having failed many times. I really appreciate your help.

eli555

I can recall this picture recently having stumbled across it by chance. It all ties in tbh because Bethesda st is near that area. Bethesda st is where the Old Palace bingo hall stands, although extremely run down & had changed names over the years. My grandfather lived in Bethesda st, at the back of the Old Palace, known as the Empire theatre in early 1900, & apparently worked there as a luggage handler for the stars of those days. Bargemans Row must have been lower down but it connects where the families I'm researching lived, seems to me they all stayed close to one another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast