Default Can't find my grandad's war record....

Hi all

I'm having trouble finding any information regarding my grandad Jack Henry Barnabas SMITH who served in WW2.

His service number was: 1587777.

I have an Xmas card that he sent during his service that has '30 Corps District - British Army of the Rhine - Christmas 1945'. I also have another 2 Xmas cards that have 'Honourable Artillery Company' printed inside.

A letter he sent dated 29th Sept (no year) has the following details:

1587777 Sgt Smith J.H.B.
    273/86 (HAC) Hy A.A. Bty
    B.H.Q.
    BHA or BLA ??

The letter talks of him being station near Le Havre and witnessing 'colossal air raids' by the RAF that leave the town flattened but 'not as bad as Caen'.

He did survive the war but witnessed horrors on a beach that left him stranded for days on his own and he came home a completely different man that didn't interact with his family and eventually left the family home. He died 41 years ago when I was 7 and I unfortunately I never met him because of what is recognised now as PTSD.

Any ideas how I can find grandad's war records etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Juliette Coleman

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Apply for it here - https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html
    No one else will have anything.
    Here is a bit on his artillery regiment - https://www.ra39-45.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/haa/page49.html
    The war diaries for it will be at National Archives UK.
    His service number indicates he joined up with the RA - Royal Artillery (Field, Coastal & Anti-Aircraft) 721001 - 1842000 and 11000001 - 11500000

regards

Robert

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Juliette, I don't know if you are still looking for information about your grandad Jack Henry Barnabas Smith, but I have just found your post on this website and I am his brother, Edwin Wilson Smith, and might be able to help you.
    Kind regards, Ted

A fountain of knowledge

No one else as Simmo says will have his service records or access to them.

There are, however, many other WWII era records 'out there' however if these apply:

POW lists & rolls
    RAF air crash reports
    Army Casualty reports (daily reports to the war office of those wounded/killed/missing/taken prisoner)
    All Gallantry awards/medals
    Most Long service/good conduct medal rolls
    RAF discharges (i.e. when awaiting shipping home from service abroad)
    Army/Navy/Air Force lists (officers only)
    Home Guard & Civil defence lists/records
    Nursing records
    Court Martials
    & various school/university rolls of service.

Obviously if none of these apply the service records are the only 'gauranteed' record that will exist.

The person who started this thread has not been to Brit-Gen since the day they joined. If they still have the same email address then they might get a notification of the activity on this thread, let's hope so. Otherwise we have no way of contacting the person, sorry
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Hi Ted
    Thank you for your message. I'm Jack's granddaughter and my dad was his son. I'm sorry to say that I have only ever heard of Jack's brother Peter before but I have spoken to Jack's daughter and she has confirmed that he had a brother called Ted and a sister?
    Obviously I'd like to confirm that you are my great uncle and have been asked if you could let me know where you lived in London when you were young? This is quite exciting for me as it is quite out of the blue as I had forgotten I had written on here until your message popped up.
    Kind regards, Juliette

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Ted,

You may prefer to 'speak' direct to Juliette rather than post personal information on the thread.
    If you click on the blue Juliette66 to the left of her post you will see a dropdown menu which includes 'send private message'. Select that option. Juliette should then receive a notification that you've sent her a message.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”