Davidj78

Default Can any of you kind people help?

Hello. I have limited information about my grandfather during world war 2. I know he enlisted into the kings own Scottish borderers in 1939 but then stayed at home until 1942 when he went to Madagascar with the Royal scots fusiliers for six months and then to india for over two years. Does anybody know what he would be doing during that time he was away battles etc general issues Please forgive my ignorance as I'm just starting to research. Thank you for your time. David

Davidj78

His Name was Joseph Mclaughlin and his army number was 3189308. Thank you again.

Hello David and welcome to British-Genealogy

You do seem to know about some of your grandfather's service. Do you have his WW11 records which are not online and are held by the MOD. This sticky explains how and where to apply for the records. This will help in you looking for the relevant war diaries. Others with far more knowledge of this subject will be along to give you some hints.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Davidj78

Hi Christina thank you for the welcome and advice. I'm going to look into that tomorrow. I think I should be able to obtain them as although I'm not next of kin he passed away in 68. Thank you again

Hi David

Good luck with it. You could have rather a long wait for the records but it will be worth it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Davidj78

That's ok Christina I've got time on my side hopefully haha. No rush at all at the minute.

markmccormack

According to the https://
    www.forces-war-records.co.uk/unit-info/313/

Records for the Royal Scots Fusiliers:

1st Battalion:

================================================== =================

September 1939: The Battalion had returned to the UK from India and became part of 20th Infantry Brigade

14 July 1940: The Battalion became one of the four that formed the 29th Independent Infantry Brigade Group. It became attached to Force 121 as the British Expeditionary Force for deployments overseas on combined operations.

28 April 1942: It set sail from Greenock for Madagascar via Freetown and Durban.

05 May 1942: Took part in the successful Madagascar invasion.

20 August 1942: Set sail for South Africa.

10 September 1942: Landed at Majunga on the west coast.

January 1943: Arrived in India and took part in the Burma Campaign.

September 1944: In the same Brigade became part of the 36th Infantry Division and was in action through North Arakan, Mandalay and on the Rangoon Road.

May 1945: It returned to India where the Battalion a long with the other original Units left the 29th Independent Infantry Brigade Group Brigade.

================================================== =================

If you Google the unit, you can see which of these battles the regiment received battle honors for. This should provide you with lots of reading while you await his formal records.

Good Luck!

Mark

Davidj78

Hi Mark. Thanks for that information. That's really helpful. I really appreciate it,I can't wait to get stuck in.