evelynchrystal

Default Thomas and Anne Hudson/ Inkeepers

Thomas and Ann Hudson nee Moreland I find in Cumberland Cuthbert without Carleton, I think that is Carlisle. Ann says she is an Inn Keeper and she has living with her, her grand daughter, Mary Ann Hudson. When Mary Ann Hudson married David Chrystal,in Carlisle I think 1882, he claims to be an Inn Keeper or it might be later when their don James is born, 1883.
    I find other Hudsons, Richard and Dinah Stanley as farmers and Inn Kepers or Hotel owners relating to the Red Lion Hotel and THe Rothay, both seem to be close to each other in Grasmere, Westmoreland [1881 census] I have been trying to make a connection between the two Hudson families but so far have failed.
    What I am wondering is, would there be a register of Inn Keepers for that time or would there be any record of all the people who held the licence for the Red Lion or the Rothay?
    Would appriciate any ideas,
    Evelyn

Reputation beyond repute

would there be a register of Inn Keepers for that time or would there be any record of all the people who held the licence for the Red Lion or the Rothay?
    It's possible particularly after 1872 when the law required a specific register to be kept. It would best to ask the County Record Office what records have survived. You may also want to ask them about any research service they might have.

The licensing register won't be very informative about family relationships! Conventional research is likely to be more productive to that end.

Picked at random, here's an example of a page from a Licensing Register -

https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/r...l/466_0115.JPG

The "Convictions" column can be quite interesting

evelynchrystal

Thank you Peter, does that link get me to the County Record Office, seems to be Kent. Is that where I should go or is there a County Record Office for Cumberland or Westmoreland. Forgive my ignorance I am in Australia and have never yet been to England.
    Evelyn

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thomas and Ann Hudson nee Moreland
    In 1871 RG 10 5207 70 4 the family are living in Ellerton Penrith Thomas is described as a Shepherd, 7 yuear old Mary Ann is living with them. Ann nee MORELAND is aged 56 which puts her birth year as 1815.

The 1881 RG11 5156 102 6 census where Ann is living with her granddaughter Mary Ann aged 17 shows Ann's year of birth as 1824! However I would consider this to be the same person as the place of birth is a village Ainstable!

You could look at this link https://leicester.contentdm.oclc.org/...d/order/nosort

Mary Ann HUDSON married David CHRYSTAL q2 1882 v 10b p 746 marriage details 22 April 1882 father Thomas HUDSON at Upperby Cumberland ( familysearch.org)

On 1881 census David is working as an Attendant at the County Asylum, 1891 Scotland he is a coal miner

As regards the hotels in Grasmere I think any connection comes by you researching the HUDSON family more fully

You should note there is another Thomas & Ann HUDSON similar years of birth in the area desc a Publican / Innkeeper, they hailed form Surrey some of the children have the same forename!!

Reputation beyond repute

does that link get me to the County Record Office?
    No. It's what I said it was, an example of a licensing register.

You want the Cumbria Archive Service which you can find with a search engine.

evelynchrystal

Hello Peter,
    I have not been idle, I have sent my sister, who is on holiday in Cumberland to check out where this inn could be. I armed her with lots of information and she has been a great little detective.!851 census has Thomas and Ann Hudson living at Church Style, Hutton Roof and I think that is close to Grassmere.
    She found Church style and tells me that it is a heratige listed building, is now a shop but was once an Inn. I think that answers my question. Still trying to confirm it but am pretty happy, certainly gives me something to work on.
    Many thanks to you and your team,
    Evelyn