Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    jenlouise

Default mendes and simhon families 1700s london

david a mendes son of abraham mendes and hannah de a saqui born 1700s david married sara simhon daughter of jacob simhon this is all i have been able to find out i know mendes were portuguese jews if any one can help with info i would be really grateful thank you x

Louise
    Again for clarity are you researching Hannah de Abraham Saqui 1740-1832 married Abraham Mendes - Bevis Marks marriage 1760?
    Phillip

jenlouise

hi
    Yes Phillip,Hannah de Abraham Saqui and Abraham Mendes i have there children as Isaac Mendes,Joseph Mendes,David Mendes this is all just going off David Mendes who married Sara Simhon
    Also may i ask the surname Simhon where it originated from as then i may be able to find something as well on the Simhon family
    Thank you
    JenL

Louise
    You may want to look at the JewishGen UK Data bases which include reference to Abraham Mendes Gent 10 Camden St Islington 11.03.1803; Abraham Mendes Confectioner 15 Borough Rd 29.07.1811- Insurance policy later assigned to David Mendes Confectioner and later dealer in army accroutements 1820-1825 14 Borough Road. There are other records relating to David Mendes and insurance policies. See also Abraham de Mendes Gent 18 Pavement Moorfields 16.02.1802 in house of Coleman Breeches maker; Abraham de Mendes 13 Smith Square Westminster Gent 10.10.1809
    I would suggest you also look under the Levi last name on the data bases.
    As you know the Mendes and Simhon are Sephardic Jews based on the Bevis Marks marriage records. I have seen the Simhon last name linked to Dutch Sephardic Jews but you would need to research this carefully.
    My strong advice is to set out your current data on this forum to include dates of birth, marriage, death if you have them plus any census data if you have it. This would greatly help other researchers to assist your searches as well as inform those who may share the same family lines.
    Phillip

Louise
    Is this the wife of David Mendes? The Examiner Sunday March 31, 1839- DEATH- On the 10th inst aged 73 Sarah wife of DAVID MENDES of Middlesex St Whitechapel leaving 92 children and grandchildren.
    If so, this is a very large family with numerous relatives.
    Phillip

jenlouise

omg phillip i get into a muddle with a couple of people never mind 92 your racing ahead there lol do you think thats a mis print or something,i was feeling quite optimistic ..thats dashed your really good at this 8-) x

Louise
    See London Land Tax Records for- Abraham de Mendes St Mary Islington 1803 and much earlier records for Abraham Mendes 1720 Broad St City of London;1743 St Katherine By the Tower; 1749 Portsoken; Abraham Mendes Wood Green Court Portsoken 1803. See also London Tax Records-David Mendes 1793 Stepney Mile End Old Town; 1802-1817 Portsoken; 1802 Harrow Alley; Aaron Mendes and David Mendes Harrow Alley 1817
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip

I am researching part of the levy Isaacs family and I think you have posted on them before. I am descended from Isaac Levy Isaacs. His mother Ann has been tenuosuly linked with the Mendes family possibly through her niece, Hannah Nathan nee Mendes (I think). I have been searching on David Mendes and followed his progression from Harrow Street/Alley in the City of London, to Southwark and along the way have found that there are possibly two David Mendes involved. On 16 November 1831 David Mendes "the elder", formerly of No. 14 Borough-road, then of No. 6 Little Surrey-street, Blackfriars-road, afterwards of Market-street, Borough-road, and late of No. 51, Bond-street, Borough-road, Southwark, confectioner, army-accoutrement maker, and dealer in Marine-stores petitioned the court, having been an insolvent debtor.
    In 1808, David Mendes of Harrow Street, Army accoutrement maker, went into bankruptcy, had his assets sold at auction and then applied for a certificate of conformity, presumably to come out of banruptcy.
    So I am wondering if there were David the father and David the son both with the same occupations.
    I am also wondering if the land tax records are not as straight forward as I thought, as David Mendes had 3 rents in one part of Harrow Street/Alley and from 1809, 9 rents in another part of Harrow Alley. Some of these are occupied until 1927 under various versions of the name such as "Mendez Davis" and "D Merdsy", frequently under assessment 441 of the Portsoken ward of the City of London. That's some period of occupation! Many of the records refer to book 11, number 7556 dated 18/06/1813 - could this refer to the original Lease Indenture, in which case do the records actually provide any evidence of actual occupation.
    Are you able to shed any light on any of this? You appear to be quite knowledgeable about the jewish community at that time and I confess that I am finding it hard to nail anything down!!
    Steve

Steve
    Take a close look on the JewishGen UK Data Base under Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies under David Mendes and Abraham Mendes. You will see that Abraham Mendes was listed at the same addresses 2 and 15 Borough Road as David and that the insurance policy was later assigned to David. It was not uncommon to leave insurance policies in the name of the first assigned person following their death and then much later assign the policy to a living business partner or relative. The premises listed in the Land Tax records were often business premises such as warehouses and not actual living premises.
    Given the Sephardic naming tradition for a living relative it is possible that there are 2 David's father and son.
    What other data do you have on David? Is he David Mendes m Abigail Fernandez Da Silva or David de Abraham Mendes m Sarah de Jacob Simhon or another?
    Phillip

Default David Mendes b 21 July 1769

I have recently been researching David Mendes and contacted the Bevis MArks archivist to confirm/obtain some information. I was looking for David Mendes the father of Abraham who married Rebecca de Joseph Nunes Miranda. Miriam told me that my David was born 17 July 1769 and was the son of Hannah de Saqui and Abraham Mendez. I am not certain who David married as Miriam did not confirm but I intend to go back to her to see if she could clarify. I do believe that my David is the one who went bankrupt in 1808 and lived/worked at the premises in Portsoken and Southwark as discussed in these posts.

I am pretty certain that this David did not marry Sara Simhon. That marriage record is from the Great Synagogue and my David was Sephardi. (not that it couldnt happen) However, that SImhon family were considerably wealthier and appear to have managed an apparel store in Mayfair. My David was Southwark and Whitechapel based and there are no business records for him in Mayfair. My David had three children I can identify, Hannah ( who married a Nathan - discussed by one of the posters above) , John/Jacob and Abraham. There could be more children and I wouldn't rule out a David as some of the court records refer to David Mendes Snr.

Many people on ancestry say David married a "Rebecca" but no support or source is given for that. I would love to nail down the contradictory information that is out there. One thing I can rule out is that David Mendez ( child of Hannah and Abraham) did not marry Abigail de Silva as that David and Abigail married in 1774 when Hannah and Abraham's son was just 5 years old. This all assumes Miriam's information is error free but she is the archivist and not known to be erroneous. We should be able to fix this as there appears to be only 3 or so David Mendes who remotely match this time period.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast