Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jenlouise

Default mendes and simhon families 1700s london

david a mendes son of abraham mendes and hannah de a saqui born 1700s david married sara simhon daughter of jacob simhon this is all i have been able to find out i know mendes were portuguese jews if any one can help with info i would be really grateful thank you x

Louise
    Again for clarity are you researching Hannah de Abraham Saqui 1740-1832 married Abraham Mendes - Bevis Marks marriage 1760?
    Phillip

jenlouise

hi
    Yes Phillip,Hannah de Abraham Saqui and Abraham Mendes i have there children as Isaac Mendes,Joseph Mendes,David Mendes this is all just going off David Mendes who married Sara Simhon
    Also may i ask the surname Simhon where it originated from as then i may be able to find something as well on the Simhon family
    Thank you
    JenL

Louise
    You may want to look at the JewishGen UK Data bases which include reference to Abraham Mendes Gent 10 Camden St Islington 11.03.1803; Abraham Mendes Confectioner 15 Borough Rd 29.07.1811- Insurance policy later assigned to David Mendes Confectioner and later dealer in army accroutements 1820-1825 14 Borough Road. There are other records relating to David Mendes and insurance policies. See also Abraham de Mendes Gent 18 Pavement Moorfields 16.02.1802 in house of Coleman Breeches maker; Abraham de Mendes 13 Smith Square Westminster Gent 10.10.1809
    I would suggest you also look under the Levi last name on the data bases.
    As you know the Mendes and Simhon are Sephardic Jews based on the Bevis Marks marriage records. I have seen the Simhon last name linked to Dutch Sephardic Jews but you would need to research this carefully.
    My strong advice is to set out your current data on this forum to include dates of birth, marriage, death if you have them plus any census data if you have it. This would greatly help other researchers to assist your searches as well as inform those who may share the same family lines.
    Phillip

Louise
    Is this the wife of David Mendes? The Examiner Sunday March 31, 1839- DEATH- On the 10th inst aged 73 Sarah wife of DAVID MENDES of Middlesex St Whitechapel leaving 92 children and grandchildren.
    If so, this is a very large family with numerous relatives.
    Phillip

jenlouise

omg phillip i get into a muddle with a couple of people never mind 92 your racing ahead there lol do you think thats a mis print or something,i was feeling quite optimistic ..thats dashed your really good at this 8-) x