Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ed Bradford

Smile Camp families of Stanstead Abbots and Much Hadham

I'm related to Thomas Camp born about 1780 who married Elizabeth Wood in Stanstead Abbots during 1802. They had 12 children that I'm aware of, one of which is my ancestor Fanny Camp who married James Devile in Wareside during 1846.

In another line, I'm related to William Camp who married Elizabeth Osborne in Much Hadham during 1776. Their daughter Ann Camp is my ancestor who was christened at Little Hadham during 1777. She married James Fish in Little Hadham during 1795.

It is possible that these two Camp lines connect at some point but I have not been able to establish that fact.

I'm looking for anyone who would like to exchange information concerning these family lines. I'm also looking for leads of where to go to get more information concerning these families. Any help is appreciated.

Clive Blackaby

Ed,
    No relationship to my family as far as I know, but my lot also originated in those parishes, so I do a fair amount of rooting around in P.R.'s etc. I'll try and keep an eye open for anything interesting that might turn up.

You don't mention where you have looked or what records you have found so far - this would help in knowing what to suggest as a next move.

I can recommend Chris Reynolds' excellent site
    https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/index.htm

Ed Bradford

Clive, thanks for keeping an eye open for me. I appreciate any help I can get. I've recently discovered this line in the IGI files in the Family History Center of the LDS Church. All of the information that I have to date is from that source. I currently know very little about Hertfordshire. Most of my genealogy focus has been on my Grandfather's line who lived in and around Middlesex. My Hertfordshire ancestors are on my Grandmother's side. I am currently studying maps and the history of Hertfordshire to try and get more familiar with the area. I live in the USA and the distance makes some research difficult. Again, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ed Bradford

Clive, you are correct in saying that Chris Reynolds' site is excellent. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

John Camp

Default Camp families of Stanstead Abbots and Much Hadham

Hi Ed,

I have been doing some research on my family. My Camp ancestor (James GGGF) left Cottered (Herts) for Standon (Herts) circa 1835. Another Camp family arrived in Standon from Much Hadham about the same time. William Camp from Hadham was the son of Noah (brother of Ann Fish I think). I have not been able to trace a link between the Camps of Hadham and Cottered but the villages are not to far apart and if there is a link it will go back prior to 1750. If Noah is Anns sister I have put together a tree of that Standon family (it may not be 100% correct but if you want it in Word format let me know).

Best Regards John Camp

Ed Bradford

John, you and I are communicating privately about our families. I just wanted anyone else that reads this message thread to know that, which is the reason for this posting.

Also, in my original posting I indicated that the two Camp lines that I mention might be related. Since then I've been able to establish that they do in fact connect.

..............Ed
    Last edited by Ed Bradford; 09-12-2005 at 3:41 PM. Reason: add punctuation

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford
    John, you and I are communicating privately about our families. I just wanted anyone else that reads this message thread to know that which is the reason for this posting.

Also, in my original posting I indicated that the two Camp lines that I mention might be related. Since then I've been able to establish that they do in fact connect.

..............Ed
    Hi Ed,
    In my Blackaby searches I have come across a couple of "common areas"

I'm working from memory here, as the files are on a different computer (flash beggar - two pcs!!:::: totally disorganised person who doesn't know where his records are)

But I know I have census refs of Hannah Fish working as a servant in the same household as a Blackaby, and an elderly mr. deville, devoile or some such living with a similarly elderly mr. Blackaby in Ware. I'll try to dig out the references for you.

As a native of Hertfordshire, I'll gladly help you out with the local geography. my email address is accessible through the profiles on this site

rgds

Clive

Ed Bradford

Clive, thanks so very much for the generous offer to help me. By not having ever been in the area, I sometimes overlook things that would probably be noticed by someone more familiar with the territory and surroundings. Because of that, I keep everything and go over it again sometime later when I'm more familiar with the area and feel a little like a native. I will call on you to help, I'm sure I'll need it.

I haven't stumbled across the name Blackaby in connection with my Camps or Deviles as of yet but that's not to say there wasn't one. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide in this area.

...............Ed

serisier

My apologies in advance if Camps from Reed are not relevant here. (Not too sure of the geography)
    My ancestor Elizabeth Camp was born in Reed abt 1799 (from her death cert).
    Her parents were listed as John Camp and Sarah Whitacks (from her death cert).
    She married John Hart in Reed on 31 Dec 1815.

Question: Does anyone recognize this John Camp? Was he previously married to Sarah Bysouth? Or was this a different John Camp?

Ed Bradford

It appears that Reed is about 14 miles by road north of Much Hadham. I don't have a John Camp appearing in my information until 1828. I do have an Elizabeth Camp born about 1785 in Little Hadham but her parents are William and Elizabeth. I wish I could be of more help. As I search through records looking for details on the Camp family, I'll keep a lookout for your ancestors as well.
    ..................Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast