Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by altercynthia View Post
    Thanks for update on the Divers. I did find they were related to the Hodges family and William Baugh's first wife, Mary Anne Hodges was part of the Divers clan. William Baugh's 2 daughters were the Divers grand children I wonder why W.B. listed himself as a grandson. I now know that Emma Beatrice Curson whom W.B married was not a blood relative. Regards, Cynthia

Great to know all the information now fits into your family tree

Settling in

I have made contact with the great ,great grand children of one of William Baugh Pickering' siblings. Fantastic. Thanks to B.G researches and the internet, I have collected quite a bit of info, all this in a month after years of battling. Thank you all so much, regards, Cynthia Alter , Bennoni South Africa

Name well known on Brit-Gen

That's great news! So nice to hear the success of all our research and how it assists you...

pennycook20

Default Pickering

I wonder if there are any living relatives in England related to the Pickering family of whom you have been researching. regards Cynthia

I have just found this thread and although it was last updated in 2014 I thought I would make a comment. William Baugh Pickering's brother John Turney Pickering is my husband's Great Grandfather making William his 2nd Great uncle.

I had just got to the point where I had realised that he had remarried, his two little girls from his first marriage had died and then lost him so all this information has been great.

Thank you

Jeanie Hale

Settling in

Default John Turney Pickering/William Baugh Pickering

Thank you for your message. I am William Baugh Pickering's great granddaughter. My father, Duncan Pickering's dad was William Alexander and who was born in London. The family came out to South Africa about 1890 with 2nd wife Emma Beatrice Curson, and 4 children born in UK. WB's eldest daughter Lilian died here in 1893 from flu. Second daughter died in UK in 1887. I have a good amount of info re the Pickerings. I am in contact with the 2 cousins whose grandfather was Arthur Edwin Pickering. Roger has given me a great deal of info re the Alexander Pickerings and the Drug broker business in London. I traced Roger and sister Jane through an article on google regarding his family.He has traced as far as 1712. We are trying to trace family that we have found who lived in Lewisham and Brighton. Hope to hear from you again, regards Cynthia Pickering Alter, Benoni South Africa

Settling in

Default John Turney Pickering/William Baugh Pickering

Jeannie Hale: After I logged out, I realized that your surname rang a bell. Remembered that the brothers' sister, Elsie married George Hale, farmer from Temperley, Manchester. They had 3 children, Stephen, Annette and Dudley. George Hale was related to the Gerrett family. Arthur Edwin Pickering married Florence Gerrett, their daughter was Eileen Pickering She married George Sutton ( our 2nd cousins, Roger and Jane). Most of the Pickerings moved from London to Bromley. Are any of the above related to your husband? As you will probably have noticed Brit.-Gen helped me tremendously with info. I joined about June 2014, and passed on quite a bit about about my side of the family. Regards Cynthia Pickering Alter,Benoni, S.A

pennycook20

Quote Originally Posted by altercynthia View Post
    Jeannie Hale: After I logged out, I realized that your surname rang a bell. Remembered that the brothers' sister, Elsie married George Hale, farmer from Temperley, Manchester. They had 3 children, Stephen, Annette and Dudley. George Hale was related to the Gerrett family. Arthur Edwin Pickering married Florence Gerrett, their daughter was Eileen Pickering She married George Sutton ( our 2nd cousins, Roger and Jane). Most of the Pickerings moved from London to Bromley. Are any of the above related to your husband? As you will probably have noticed Brit.-Gen helped me tremendously with info. I joined about June 2014, and passed on quite a bit about about my side of the family. Regards Cynthia Pickering Alter,Benoni, S.A
    Yes, you are quite right that is the George Herbert Hale family line that my husband is descended from. He and his wife moved to Cheshire, near Manchester from London sometime between 1911 and 1913, and my understanding is that he was a Traveller in Electrical Trade (salesman for a company) living at Yew Tree Farm near Manchester(I don't believe he was a farmer.) He died when my father-in-law was quite young in 1928. My father in law Dudley Hale would have been 15 yrs old. I never heard him speak much of his family. His mother Elsie died almost 30 years later. Dudley Hale was the youngest son of George and Elsie. They had 4 children, a son Clifford died in infancy. Dudley married Phyllis Threadgold and they had twin sons, my husband Robert being the eldest by 12 hours. We have 2 sons and a beautiful little Granddaughter who has just celebrated her second birthday.

As Dudley's parents moved to Cheshire it seems that the regular contact with the family was broken although I'm sure he showed me some photos of himself visiting Matthew Hale in Suffolk. I certainly never heard him speak about the Pickering side of the family. Sadly I know he had quite a large collection of family photographs and paperwork but at the moment I have no access to them.

As far as the Gerrett family, my husband's Great Great Aunt Louisa Elizabeth Hale married Charles Gerrett and it was their daughter Florence Amy who married Arthur Edwin Pickering, my husband's Great Uncle.

I found it so sad the Arthur Edwin Pickering died in France of Influenza and Pneumonia just 8 days after the end of World War 1. It is said that the Flu Pandemic of 1918-1920 caused more deaths than the First World War and 3% of the world's population.

Do you have any early information for Charles Gerrett? Although Census records state he was born in Marylebone, London I have not found a record of his birth or the identified his parents or found the death of Florence Amy Gerrett.

I had not used Brit.-Gen before, it came up when I was looking for any information about William Baugh Pickering. Do you know if their were any records of their journey to South Africa or why he emigrated?

I really do find it all so fascinating!!

Regards

Jeanie Hale

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default PICKERING

Hi
    I am a granddaughter of Leonard Samuel Pickering, son of William Baugh Pickering.
    Len was the brother of William Alexander and others!
    Len's one daughter, Vera Emily Beatrice Birt, my mother is still living and is almost 101yrs old. She is in South Africa. I now live in the USA.

Gillian Rosenthal (Birt)

Settling in

Hi, my paternal grandfather was Alexander William. He was the first born from the second marriage and born in London. My sister, Beryl and I(nee Pickerings) live in Benoni, South Africa. We used to visit "Uncle Len" at the Modderfontein Dynamite Factory as youngsters. We are both in our middle seventies. I have traced relatives in England whose gggrandfather was a brother and ggmother WB's sister. We correspond regularly. We have very good history on the Pickerings going back to the 1600s. As you probably noticed I entered on Brit-Gen quite a bit of history on the Pickering family(also thanks to Brit-Gen). Hope to hear from you sometime regarding your findings. Regards Cynthia Alter(Pickering)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345