Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Looking for the birth of Annie Richards

I am trying to get help finding the birth records in India for Annie Louisa Richards around 1878/79. All I know is that on her death cert it states that she was born in India, I also know that she had a brother Victor Oliver and he also said that he was born in India. They also had a brother Edward but he died young and we don't know where he was born, also a sister Maud who's marriage cert states that she was born on Jersey Is Around 1877 but I can't find any record of her either. Their parent were Charles Richards and Eliza Barnett, I have a post on another forum as well and they can't find any thing about this lot!! Hoping that somebody can help with this brick wall.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Findmy past has British India Office Births & Baptisms - but a quick look does not reveal anything.

I have looked on there without luck, but I will have another look, it could be that their father changed his surname as he states that he was born in Canada c 1860 to Erasmus Richards and Annie Christieson and I can't find this family in Canada at all. I also can't find a marriage for him to Eliza Barnett.
    Thanks
    Michelle

This is certainly a complicated family and it would be simpler if, on this forum, we just stick to trying to find Annie Louisa's birth I think otherwise we are just retracing what has already been done.

I did take a look on familysearch.org for births/baptisms in India 1786-1947 just using the surname Richards with father Charles but with no results. family search does say "Only a few localities are included and the time period varies by locality. The greatest number of India birth and baptism records in this collection are from Bengal, Bombay and Madras."

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It's late however a quick google shows you have had extensive replies to your post on the other forum...unless this thread is read you risk the same information being repeated and any replies may even be by the same researchers....I too found the 'maps'

Yes I agree so now I am only looking for the birth records in India, on Annie's death it just states India and on Victor's I think it was his Army papers it has Colombo Ceylon, are the records for Ceylon any where that I can search?
    Thank you all very much for having a look.

Hi
    By using a search engine I came across this site. Registrar General's Office, New Secretariat, Maligawatta, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka

https://www.rgdept.lk/about/contacts.aspx
    It has a contact button on the LH side where you can contact them for information. It can't hurt to try it I suppose. I have been looking on Cyndi's list for some links for India and Ceylon/SriLanka but can't see any. Of course my geography is abysmal so they may be included in a continent?
    Using a search engine and typing in the words 'genealogy in India' brings up some sites and forums. The same for SriLanka
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christanel for the web site I have emailed them, so I will now have to wait and see if I get a reply. This is the biggest brick wall that I have ever had.

Do let us know if they get back to you or even if they don't then we can see if anything else can be found.
    I have a great grandmother who just appears in the 1881 census with her two daughters who were born in England - they say - but can I find their births. I don't think I would mind not finding them quite so much if they said they were born somewhere exotic.

Christina
    William Burroughs

They have now got back to me and I need to know enough details to apply for a birth cert, they need details such as birth district, birth division, Place born eg., Hospital, house number and Street , Town or Village, the Registrar's Division and Revenue District and I don't have these details other than when Annie's brother Victor joined the Australian Army he said that he was born in Colombo and on Annie's death cert it says that she was born in India. So end of seach!! I will just tell my Aunt that I can't go any further with the Richards family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast