tigger88

Default CHEADLE family of SHROPSHIRE

I am trying to verify a birth of Ann CHEADLE born at Shifnal, Shropshire c. 1802 or 1806. I have been unable to find a birth anywhere for an Ann CHEADLE.
    She married John HYDE in October 1829.
    It's doing my head in. I think her parents were James and Elizabeth CHEADLE, and there was a sister Mary (b.1800) and William (b. 1802)
    Any help appreciated on where to look. I've tried parish registers from fmp and family search to no avail.
    Thanks.
    Lesley

I can't find a baptism in Shropshire either. There is this one
    Ann Cheadle
    Birth Date - 12 Aug 1799
    Baptised - 2 Feb 1800
    Baptised at Penkridge, Stafford, England
    Father - John Cheadle
    Mother - Elizabeth
    FHL Film Number - 1040783

Problems with this is wrong father's name. Anne was born earlier than it says on the 1851 census and wrong county. Google maps says Penkridge is 14 miles from Shifnal.

The only other thing I can think is possible is that Ann's maiden name is not Cheadle but she was a widow when she married John Hyde. Have you seen the original film for the marriage?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

I think the clue is in the 1841 census record of Shifnal, Shropshire:

HO107/909/10, folio 24, page 4
    Priors Lee

James CHEADLE 70 Farmer
    Elizabeth do 65
    Mary do 40
    William do 35 Blacksmith
    Elizabeth do 20
    William HYDE 10

All born in the County.

A Mary CHEADLE is a witness at John HYDE & Ann CHEADLE's marriage and if William HYDE aged 10 is one of the children of John & Ann, then I think you have almost certainly found Ann's parents.

There is a baptism for a Mary CHEADLE at Stirchley, Shropshire on 27 April 1800 daughter of James & Elizabeth which could be relevant. Perhaps the family moved to Shifnal when Ann was very young so she assumed that Shifnal was her birthplace.

Janet

janbooth

A further piece of corroboratory evidence is that William HYDE's actual baptismal record is on FindmyPast and does suggest that that he is the child of your couple. FMP is pay per view, but does have a lot of actual parish register images for Shropshire, so could be worth a look for you.

Janet

tigger88

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I can't find a baptism in Shropshire either. There is this one
    Ann Cheadle
    Birth Date - 12 Aug 1799
    Baptised - 2 Feb 1800
    Baptised at Penkridge, Stafford, England
    Father - John Cheadle
    Mother - Elizabeth
    FHL Film Number - 1040783

Problems with this is wrong father's name. Anne was born earlier than it says on the 1851 census and wrong county. Google maps says Penkridge is 14 miles from Shifnal.

The only other thing I can think is possible is that Ann's maiden name is not Cheadle but she was a widow when she married John Hyde. Have you seen the original film for the marriage?
    Christina
    Hi Christina
    Thank you for this. I've actually found the marriage certificate of John HYDE and Ann CHEADLE where it says that Ann was a spinster, and Mary CHEADLE was one of the witnesses. The birth you found would fit if it wasn't for the wrong fathers name!
    Lesley