Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living People

Reputation beyond repute

"I received a reply from Nottingham University"

I hope that means they've found it. Should only cost a fiver or so.

Guy Etchells

Under UK law there is nothing unlawful about including details of living people on a web site. The Data Protection Act specifically excludes such information on family history sites it is up to the person concerned what they place on their site.

The DPA Commissioner's official ruling on the subject is-

"In accordance with section 36, if the research in question is undertaken purely for "that individual's personal, family or household affairs (including recreational purposes)" then that processing is exempt from compliance with the Act. This would be case the case whether or not that data was published on a website."

The Human Rights Act would not help either in the majority of cases, it is fundemental to UK democracy that there is no privacy law this prevents politicians and the like hiding behind such privilege.
    Cheers
    Guy

Reputation beyond repute

Although there is no single law that appears to be directly relevant there is a general requirement to interpret all legislation including common law in a way that is not incompatible with the Human Rights Act which, although it is mainly concerned with privacy from the State, includes a general principle of respect for privacy.

However this is beside the point because Diane doesn't want to take legal action - just to exert a little pressure.

Reputation beyond repute

"Please forgive me for being a 'numpty' but if you get a minute sometime, could you please tell me how I do that?"

Email to: [email protected]

Mention the full address of the website. Describe it in broad terms.

Say that it contains items of a personal nature about you and living members of your family (name them), published without your permission.

Say (if you feel in the mood) that you believe that the context in which your names appear give rise to certain implications which may be harmful to your personal reputation as a serious family researcher. That's meaningless verbiage of course but it does no harm to hint that you might have grounds for some sort of legal action without actually threatening anything specific.

Say something along the lines of "I believe this to be contrary to your Acceptable Use Policy and may be in breach of current legislation. Despite having asked the webmaster concerned to remove the relevant material, he has not done so."

However, let's hope the guy just removes the names without you feeling the need to write to abuse@!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Thankyou Guy for your detailed explanation, but I'm just trying everything to get my details removed from this person's web site. In my book, it's polite to ask first, but seeing as he didn't ...... it's courtesy to answer an email from me requesting said removal.

Thankyou Peter for the address, I have made a note of it, but I hope it won't be necessary for me to write. I shall write again to this man today, but if I don't receive a reply within the next few days ...... I shall write to the abuse@ address.

I'll let you know the outcome, whether or not I get replies from either party!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

I've just popped back for a quick read (trawling my Essex 1841 looking for Mary Ann!) and collapsed in a heap of laughter at your message! I agree with you 100% but I really don't like the idea of my line of descent being so wrong and my name associated with it at the bottom ...... never mind the fact that he's 'twinned' me with my Big Bruv and aged me more than I am!

If you get bored, click on the link to his web site, then click on Ley Family on the left side. Scroll over to the right, until you see The Ley Family Tree at the top of the page, (in fancy writing). Below the writing, is a photo of a 'castle' and underneath it is Nicholas Trengrouse b. 1570, then Nicholas Trengrouse b. 1600 m. Charity Watty. Then their children are listed and my Mary Trengrouse is the last one listed after scrolling over to the right. He doesn't even have her baptism date but she married William Richards.

Straight down from the above couple, is my direct line of descent with all the mistakes in it (William Bowden b. 1847 belongs to Eleanor Hodge and not my Mary Kevern). According to his dates, I'm very surprised that I managed to be born at all!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

AnnB

Hello Diane

I had to check this out (not being nosey you understand - all in the name of family history ) As soon as I saw mention of the name Ley my curiosity really did get the better of me.

I now wish I hadn't - it has given me a headache What a mess, what a load of codswallop (for want of a better word) My Leys have some connection to the Leys on this 'weed' (can't call it a tree) I'm not going to bore you with details (I can hear the sigh of relief from here) but all the early stuff on the weed is taken straight from visitations and the like - and he's still managed to get most of that wrong.
    I can't even begin to work out in what way 'your' side of the weed is connected to the Ley side

You have given me a good excuse for a small glass of something....
    Best wishes
    Ann

PS
    Had to just add that I love the picture of Ley Manor House - looks more like a barn conversion with a cheap line in decking and garden furniture
    meowww
    Last edited by AnnB; 02-09-2005 at 2:34 PM.

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    "Please forgive me for being a 'numpty' but if you get a minute sometime, could you please tell me how I do that?"

Email to: [email protected]

Mention the full address of the website. Describe it in broad terms.

Say that it contains items of a personal nature about you and living members of your family (name them), published without your permission.

Say (if you feel in the mood) that you believe that the context in which your names appear give rise to certain implications which may be harmful to your personal reputation as a serious family researcher. That's meaningless verbiage of course but it does no harm to hint that you might have grounds for some sort of legal action without actually threatening anything specific.

Say something along the lines of "I believe this to be contrary to your Acceptable Use Policy and may be in breach of current legislation. Despite having asked the webmaster concerned to remove the relevant material, he has not done so."

However, let's hope the guy just removes the names without you feeling the need to write to abuse@!

Sorry but if someone took such vindictive action against me I would sign up to every free website going and plaster the tree everywhere.
    There would be so many copies on the internet it would take years to view them all that alone have them removed.

The person has done nothing unlawful, if requests do not result in the tree being removed forget it.
    Cheers
    Guy

Reputation beyond repute

I'm just suggesting a way to achieve results if he doesn't agree. It depends how strongly she feels about it. I really don't think it's for you or me to tell her how strongly she feels.

Guy Etchells

I understood that, however I suggested that following such procedures could actually be totally counterproductive.
    If the person is not amenable to requests, trying to force his hand will not achieve anything.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast