Ed Bradford

Question Osborne family in Much or Little Hadham

I'm related to the Osborne family that lived in and around Little Hadham and Much Hadham, Hertfordshire, England during the 1700s. There seems to be several Osborne families in the area at that time and I'm having trouble sorting them out. My ancestor is Elizabeth Osborne who married William Camp in 1776. Her parents are reported to be William Osborne and Susanna Ashbon. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Ed Bradford; 01-09-2005 at 2:22 AM. Reason: Typo in the town name

petercornish

Default Osborne family in Much or Little Hadham.

Hi Ed,

The Parish Record for Elizabeth's marriage at Much Hadham reads ...

William Camp, bachelor and Elizabeth Osborne, spinster, both of this parish were married by banns on 24th June 1776. Both made their marks (x). Witnesses William Taylor and Edward Angus. There was no mention of parents.

The Hertfordshire Burials Record included two entries ..
    09 Dec 1814 Elizabeth Camp Age 70 Much Hadham
    01 Mar 1821 Eliz Camp Age 66 Little Hadham.

Regards ... Peter

Ed Bradford

Peter, thanks very much for the information. You have provided several facts that I didn't know. The 1 March 1821 burial date seems to be the correct one because the age takes me back to the christening date that I have for her. The other Elizabeth could be the former Elizbeth Page who also married a William Camp. They were married in 1767 and I keep tripping over their family when I'm researching mine. Again, thanks for the information. It's a big help. .................Ed

I am connected to the Osborn family in Hertfordshire - Robert Osborn m Eliz Jackson in Dec 1777 in Little Haddam. Their 8th child was Ann Osborn who married Robert Wickham and they were my 3xgr grandparents. Can you help find her family and is there an American link?

Hope someone can help.

MinnieMac

janbooth

Are you trying to go forwards, backwards or both? FindmyPast, which is a pay per view site, has the parish register baptism of a Robert OSBORN in Little Hadham in 1756 - can't give you full details because of their terms and conditions. However, there are no other children baptised to his parents according to FMP's online Hertfordshire records. They also have the parish register baptismal entries for daughter Ann and her siblings and the parish register entry of Ann's marriage to Robert WICKHAM at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, in 1802.

My Hertfordshire Burial Index shows the burial of a Robert OSBORN at Little Hadham St Cecilia on 18 May 1835, aged 82 and that of an Elizabeth OSBORN at St Cecilia on 14 December 1804. So Ann's parents would appear to have remained in Hertfordshire.

There is a baptism at St Martin in the Fields in 1803 of a George WICKHAM, an Anna Maria WICKHAM at St Clement Danes in 1808 - both parish register images available to view on FMP. Ancestry have the parish register entry of a Helena WICKHAM at Stepney St Dunstan on 28 November 1813, parents Robert & Ann, Mile End Old Town.

Janet

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMac View Post
    I am connected to the Osborn family in Hertfordshire - Robert Osborn m Eliz Jackson in Dec 1777 in Little Haddam. Their 8th child was Ann Osborn who married Robert Wickham and they were my 3xgr grandparents. Can you help find her family and is there an American link?

Hope someone can help.

MinnieMac
    Ann was the 6th child for Robert and Elizabeth
    other children are as follows with Birth dates
    1. William 1779 (Christening Date 25 Apr 1779)
    2. Mary 8 Mar 1781
    3. John 20 May 1782
    4. Sarah 23 Aug 1783 (could have died as they names another Sarah)
    5. Susannah 30 Sept 1784
    6. Ann 7 Feb 1786
    7. Elizabeth 25 mar 1787
    8. Sarah 6 Nov 1790
    9. Jane 17 Mar 1792