Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Alexander Mann; St. Vincent Scottish church

Other than a few Christening records on Ancestry and familysearch, I have been unable to find any records for Saint Vincents Scottish Church, Stepney, Middlesex, England.
    My interest is Alexander and Jean Mann, children:
    Abraham Mann C:13 Sept 1756; Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    William Mann C: 4 Aug. 1758; Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    Alexander Mann C: 17 May 1762; Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    Then we go to what I believe is the next generation:
    Alexander (1762) and wife Jean, children:
    Alexander Cabbell Mann: C: 29 Sept 1783;Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    Elizabeth Mann:C: 6 Sept 1785; Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    Mary Ann Mann: C: 22 May 1788, Saint Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney, London, England
    Alexander Cabbell Mann is my ancestor and I have all the information for his wife, Caroline and all five children.
    There are parish records for St. Dunstans and All Saints but none for Saint Vincent Street.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

This was Presbyterian not Church of England. Best to reserve the word "parish" for the established church.

I've had a rummage around but the only reference I can find for registers is at The National Archives; RG4/4324

"LONDON: Stepney, St Vincent Street, Mile End Old Town, formerly Broad Street, St George's in the East (Scotch Church): Births & Baptisms" 1741-1824

These registers should be online in their entirety at BMDRegisters.

I can't spot anything later. Sorry. Perhaps someone else knows the history of the place.

Don't forget that marriages for that sort of period would have to be in a Church of England church.

pippycat

These are all the children listed on BMD registers to parents Alexander Mann and Jean.

Registers of births and baps at St Andrews Scotch Church on St. Vincent Street
    in the parish of Stepney. 1740-1824.
    (formerly on Broad Street, St Georges in the East)

Sarah Mann: bap 15 Dec 1754
    Abraham Mann: bap 13 Sept 1756
    William Mann: b 7 July 1758 - bap 4 Aug 1758
    Alexander Mann: bap 17 May 1762
    Jane Mann: b 30 June 1764 - bap 23 July 1764
    Alexander Cabbell Mann: b 6 Sept 1783 - bap 29 Sept 1783
    abode: Well Life Square, St Georges.
    Mary Ann Mann: b 20 March 1788 - bap 22 May 1788
    abode: St Georges.

Registers of burials at Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, City Rd. London
    Alexander Mann age 56
    Abode: Well Close Square
    Burial: 16 Jan 1795
    - the actual image reads "Captain Alexander Mann"

Registers of Burials at Lincoln's Inn Fields Baptist Chapel on Wild Street in parish of Whitehall, London.
    Alexander Mann age 57
    abode: 1 Temple Street, Whitefriars. Parish of St Bride's, Whitehall
    Burial: 25 July 1834

Registers of Deaths at Sea of British Nationals.
    Alexander Mann age 52
    Ship: James Hall
    Nationality: Aberdeen.
    Member of crew fell overboard and drowned...24 April 1880.

Unfortunately none of the baptism entries show Jeans maiden name or an occupation for Alexander (just to make sure they do all belong to same family)

Rebecca

Reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that marriages for that sort of period would have to be in a Church of England church.
    Correction - that applies from 1754 (England and Wales)

Have you tried Scotland for the marriage?

A possible work-around - many people born in the later 18th century lived long enough to qualify for death certificates, which might provide some information.
    I've had a lot of luck this way.

Thanks for all the help. Pippycat, I agree with all your information and believe that the Alexander Mann buried in 1795 is the Alexander Mann who is the father of Elizabeth (Bap:1785) as on her baptism he is called Captain Alexander Mann. Peter: I found their baptisms through ancestry but there was no marriages for either Alexander and Jean there or in family search in Scotland. I will do more searching but believe the Alexander bap in 1762 is the father of the last three children with the 20 years gap. I'll definitely be on the lookout for marriage records before saying that is true. Lesley: Where would I look for death certificates, I have seen parish records for burials and some for deaths in the 18th century but no death certificates. Thanks again.

Reputation beyond repute

I found their baptisms through ancestry but there was no marriages for either Alexander and Jean there or in family search in Scotland
    You need the site called ScotlandsPeople

There's a sticky at the top of the General Scottish forum about Scotlands People and other sources.
    And remember that Jean and Jane are often used for the same person.

Default Mann in London and Scotland

Tks. I've tried Scotland's People before, find them expensive so I think I'll leave these guys for awhile.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As a late comer, I googled Alexander Cabbell MANN with some interesting results

'In the matter of Alexander Cabell MANN of Church St Spitalfields....'
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls?uri=C479619

'I am the wife of Alexander Cabbell Mann , who is a fishmonger - we live in Connaught-terrace, Edgware road , in the parish of ...'

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...=t18291029-228

Listed in The Bankrupt Directory: Being a Complete Register of All the Bankrupts, with
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=L...20mann&f=false

Several entry in the London Gazette & Edinburgh Gazette

Declared bankrupt 19 June 1815

Alexander MANN o/wise Alexander Cabbell MANN Gt Garden Street St Mary Whitechapel sugar refiner

19 January 1826

Alexander Cabell MANN Church St Spitalfields silk manufacturer

21 June 1836 Insolvent Debtors Court

Baptism of 2 children St marys WhitechapelParish registers
    https://www.mawer.clara.net/sugarmmac.html

Also picked this up:
    Leamington Spa Courier
    November 6th 1900 , at the residence of her cousin, Fair Home, Leamington, Mary Jane Mann, daughter of the late Alexander Cabbell Mann, aged 86 years

I'llnow read your post more fully to see what you were looking for!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast