hbradshaw1985

Default Date of Photograph's?

I have these photo's in my family tree collection - I do not know who these ladies are. Can anyone suggest a possible date for these photographs? They are both wearing a similar sort of dress (I think!)

Also do you think they could be related in some way?

Thanks,
    Helen

You could look for late 19th century trade directories for Manchester, and see when there was a photgrapher's called Gregory.

hbradshaw1985

Thanks Lesley, is there a link anywhere on here for the trade directories?
    I actually searched for information on the photographer yesterday - George Gregory or Excelsior Studio 12 Stretford road Manchester (this is on the back of the photograph) I found him at this address in the 1871 census, occupation 'photographer'. In 1881 he was based in Islington, London.

I am unclear though if he returned to Manchester or not - does anyone know if the costume fits in with a date of around 1870?

Thanks,
    Helen

I was guessing at late 19th century, so that's not bad....
    He's not in the 1891?

I'm afraid that my collection of useful links is on my home pc, and I'm not at the moment..... Try Googling on Slater's or Pigot's directories.

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm not an expert at this kind of thing, but I have in the past tried dating some photos and consulted various experts and books. In very broad terms, I think the very full dresses would be consistent with the 1870s, but there are other clues you might consider:

First, the hair - the styles are virtually identical, which suggests to me that the women went to the studio at the same time, having had their hair done specially for the occasion. Hair styles can be almost as useful as dress styles in dating a photo.

Second, the older woman appears to be showing off a ring on her little finger, which looks to me as if it could be a black mourning ring. You can't be sure from a monochrome photo, but it's possible that the dress was purple, for "half-mourning". Similarly the younger woman's dress might be some paler shade of purple, implying perhaps that she too was related to someone who had died, but not so closely.

If you're sure these women belong somewhere in your family, I'd suggest looking for someone (fairly well off - the dresses look to be of pretty good quality) whose husband died in the 1870s, who also had a daughter of around 18-20. Or if not a husband's death, perhaps a parent.

Hope that helps,

Arthur

thewideeyedowl

Default Jayne Shrimpton - photo dating expert

Jayne Shrimpton is an authority on dating old photographs and costumes. You can find out about her on her website, which is something like "jayneshrimpton dot co dot uk" - just run a search for it. I'm pushed for time this very minute...

If you have a lot of photos to date it is worth getting a copy of her book, How To Get The Most From Family Pictures, SoG, 2011. I am finding it very very useful because I have several albums to get through.

Jayne also blogs on FMP, so take a look there, and has a column in a family history mag.

Owl

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hbradshaw1985 View Post

I am unclear though if he returned to Manchester or not - does anyone know if the costume fits in with a date of around 1870?

Thanks,
    Helen
    These 2 web pages might help - the quick look I had certainly shows that your pics fit the 1871 styles

https://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time/date.htm

https://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/date/main.htm

Also follow the link to their homepage for loads more stuff.

Good luck, MTS

hbradshaw1985

Thanks arthurk for your comments - I did notice their hair was very similar in style but hadn't considered it could be a mourning ring on her finger so thanks for the observation. Thanks also to owl and emmteeyess for the good suggestions and links. It's fascinating stuff I have spent nearly the entire scanning old family photographs and trying t look for hidden clues!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I used the link given above and it was really helpful - and fascinating. I have a similar photograph of an unknown lady and the website led me to look at so much more than the dress and hair. The quality of the card, size, thickness, shape and the printing style were all important.

Banned

First - I would say late 1880s and 1890s.
    Second - Same day, same studio.

I think they are related in some way. I could be off my head, but it looks like it.