Default William Henry Clench

Hi there I am hoping someone can help me. I have been tracing my fathers adoptive family tree, but can not find any family members for his adoptive dad so I am now thinking was he also adopted. His DOB is 19th march 1902 in Worcestershire but apart from that I have nothing else. Where could I find any information. Please HELP!!!!!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi busdriver,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.

Just to make sure that we have the right generation, I presume that William is your grandfather. Though the procedure from here is the same, regardless of the generation. (She said, making a very sweeping statement which might come back to haunt her. )

Where did William's birthdate come from? (In other words, how reliable is it?)
    I searched the GRO Index for a birth registration for a William Henry Clench born between 1900 and 1904, and found only one, whose birth was registered in Kings Norton district in June quarter 1902. Back in those days Kings Norton district covered part of Birmingham, so everything fits so far.

In the 1911 census there's a William Henry Clench, aged 9, listed as a nurse child (basically meaning he was being at least fostered, or possibly adopted) born in Birmingham.
    He's living with the Lawton family in Tipping Street, Stafford. RG14/16358 SN278
    Thomas Henry, mar, 56, a shoe operative
    Jane, wife, 63,
    Annie Maria, daur, 32,
    Mary Elizabeth, daur, 26,
    Sarah Evelyn, daur, 22,
    George Edwin, son, 19
    All born Stafford.

If you don't have it then you need to send for the birth certificate of William. If you want to know how to do that, then yell again.
    Once we know what the details on the certificate are then we will hopefully be able to help you further.

(In another sweeping statement, my money is on William's mother being called Beatrice. )

Pam

Hi Pam

Thank you for your thread. Yes William is my grandfather and he indeed was born in 1902 kings Norton. I also found him as a nurse child in the 1911 census. But that is how far I have gotten in the research.

oh and why is your money on Beatrice please tell me more

Reputation beyond repute

Don't be sidetracked! You need to get the birth certificate to find out for sure the mother's name.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver193987 View Post
    oh and why is your money on Beatrice please tell me more
    Just a hunch.
    Though you need to be aware that for every one of my hunches that work, there's at least one that is spectacularly wrong.

Truly, you can't make any further progress until you've sent for that birth certificate.

If you pay by plastic this is usually the best (and cheapest) way. https://www.
    gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You can also order by phone or post - scroll down for contact details/instructions. (Ignore the priority service bit.) https://www.
    gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate#other-ways-to-apply

Pam