DorothySandra

Default Cruickshank, Donald, Ogilvie

I'm going to spend a week or so in Aberdeen to research my family. My 3 x GreatGrandfather graduated from Kings College Aberdeen in 1824 having educated himself under "unusually difficult circumstances" according to his obituary in the newspaper. He has a rather handsome gravestone in Old Machar, a photograph of which a kind fellow-subscriber to Ancestry sent to me. He was the "schoolmaster" at Dyce.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I might start looking for information about his circumstances? I have no definite information about him before 1824, not even who his parents were.

I can't find anything about him specifically, yet, but the Statistical Account of Scotland (written 1790-91) says about the school at Dyce:
    "The parochial school is small. The number of scholars in winter is from 20 to 30, but does not exceed 14 or 15 in summer. The salary is only £5.12 shillings. The perquisites are trifling. Till within these 9 years, there was no legal salary."

Things had obviously improved by the time of the 2nd SA (1845):

"The parochial is the only school in the parish. The branches taught there are reading, writing, English grammar, arithmetic, and Latin. All the pupils are daily examined on the principles of religious truth. The schoolmaster salary is £26, and the school fees average about £8 per annum. The schoolmasters of this district are, however, now receiving a large addition to their salaries from a fund left for that purpose by the late Mr Dick, a gentleman from Morayshire. The school fees are: reading 2 shillings; reading and writing, 2 shillings and sixpence; reading, writing and arithmetic, 3 shillings; mathematics 6 shillings; Latin, 4 shillings per quarter; they are, on the whole, regularly paid.
    The people in general are fully alive to the benefits of education, and there are extremely few in this parish who cannot read, and do not avail themselves of the opportunities they enjoy for educating their families."

I have had some luck in tracing schoolmasters of another parish at the national Archives of Scotland.

DorothySandra

Thank you for this: I'll try the National Archives. I knew about Mr. Dick, but I didn't realise that Robert might have benefited from his foundation. It's one more brick, isn't it?

If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun!
    It's a striking improvement between the two accounts - maybe it was your guy who was responsible.

DorothySandra

Yes, he seems to have had a friend, or mentor, the Rev. Duncan Mearns, who may have helped with that. It helped me (but not his family) that he disappeared during a hurricane and his body was found in the canal some days later - hence the substantial article in the newspaper.

Have you been in contact with the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS? They are extremely good, and have an extensive library.

DorothySandra

Yes, I'm a member, and I plan to include them in my visit.