TomBen

Question Royal Inniskilling Fusilier

I'm researching a Private James Baldrick:

I know he was born around about 1892 in Drumragh, County Tyrone, Londonderry, NI.

On the 1901 NI Census he is living at Number 15.1 in Glendermot Road (Waterside, Londonderry), aged 9 and is listed as a Scholar, so in school or being home-schooled.

In 1914 he joins the Army, The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers enlisting in Londonderry apparently which suggests he hasn't gone anywhere in 1914.

However he doesn't appear on the 1911 Northern Ireland Census.

I had a look for a Derry Roll of Honour or a School Roll of Honour mentioning him but there isn't anything.

I'm trying to fill in this gap between 1901 and 1914 and wondered if any of you could prompt me?

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Private Baldrick's Service Info:

First Name: James
    Surname: Baldrick
    Service Number: 3761
    Battalion: 2nd Battalion
    Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
    Date of Death: 20/10/1914
    Fate: Killed in Action

Knowledgeable and helpful

I note from the 1901 census that James’ place of birth is given as Londonderry, not Tyrone.

However in the 1911 census, there is a J. Baldrick born Tyrone, aged 18, a shop porter, serving with the Inniskillings Reserves, based in Omagh. Could that be him?

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...rtmore/843857/
    ELWYN

TomBen

Hello Elwyn,

Thank you for replying.

That definitely looks like him.

Drumragh as far as I am aware is a Parish of Derry and Co. Tyrone includes the port city of Derry so it all matches up.

I've been searching for him under the birth town of Derry so with him listing Tyrone and Drumragh he never showed up in a search!

Just goes to show that it's little bits of info like that that are make or break in the genealogy business!

Thank you for smashing through my brick wall!

Regards,

Tom

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hiya Tom & Elwyn. I live in Melbourne but am originally from Kildare in Ireland. My Dad and his ancestors were from Derry/Londonderry. Dads father (my grandfather) was first cousin to Private James Baldrick. I had read about him before but only recently after thorough Ancestry research did i understand how i was connected to him. I had found him on the census of Ireland 1901 and 1911 forms as a boy with his Mother Martha Baldrick. If you have any other info on him i would love to see or find out. I have registered with the "Forces War Records" and have learned a bit about him. Regards, Bill.