Loves to help with queries

Default Marriage Certificate South Africa

Hi, how do you get a marriage cert from South Africa. Im wanting the marriage of Hugh Glyn Jones to Stella Ann Wright. They were married on the 2 Oct 1933, Durban, Nata, South Africa. Hugh was 23yrs and Stella 25yrs. How much do they cost. And do they hold names of parents and where they were born. I have the information on Stella's side, but need to find out about Hugh Glyn Jones, we think he was born in Wales.
    Many Thanks (New Zealand)

It ain't easy! I know you must apply to the Department of Home Affairs and this can sometimes be problematical and time consuming, but thankfully I have never had to do it as my South African ancestors returned to the UK in the 20th century. You can get some more information here

It may be worth your while trailing through the various Natal marriages on line here
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Loves to help with queries

Thanks Sue for that information. Ive had a look at several and even though I haven't found the marriage, it looks like parents were named in any of them, so I don't think they would be much help. Still I'll keep looking

loudoniii

Quote Originally Posted by JulesNZ View Post
    Hi, how do you get a marriage cert from South Africa. Im wanting the marriage of Hugh Glyn Jones to Stella Ann Wright. They were married on the 2 Oct 1933, Durban, Nata, South Africa. Hugh was 23yrs and Stella 25yrs. How much do they cost. And do they hold names of parents and where they were born. I have the information on Stella's side, but need to find out about Hugh Glyn Jones, we think he was born in Wales.
    Many Thanks (New Zealand)
    The Marriage Register entry is available in full for free online at the Family Search site here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....-29?cc=2063749

Transcript of the record is here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KDC1-11D

Doesn't have details of parents but has info on bride and groom.

Register entry suggests that both bride and groom were born in South Africa.

Stella Ann Wright
    South Africa, Natal Province, Civil Marriages, 1845-1955
    Name: Hugh Glyn Jones
    Event Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 2 Oct 1933
    Event Place: Durban, Natal, South Africa
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1910
    Spouse's Name: Stella Ann Wright
    Spouse's Gender: Female
    Spouse's Age: 25
    Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1908