Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Martinwwhite

Default Researching William White, GWR (Langport)

Hi,

My sister and I believe that our grandfather, William White (1899-1938) may have been the Stationmaster at Langport East Station in Somerset. The timeframe is reasonably tight, as Langport East didn't open until 1906 and from press cuttings and directories, the Stationmaster was someone else as of 1914 to 1919.

Looking back, it does seem that 39 would have been very young for a stationmaster in those days? Would I be right? I can't find any records of either my grandfather or indeed my father (Alan White 1924-2003) who I know worked for the railway as a relief until shortly before Beeching.

Any help would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Martin

Hello Martin

The National Archives has a guide Here

I did take a look on ancestry's UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 with no result.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Default Death Certificate

Hello again, Martin...

Have you got William's death certificate? It will give you lots of info/clues. You can apply to GRO for a scanned copy of the certificate. The likely entry reference I have just found on FreeBMD reads: White, William/39/Taunton/Vol 5c p295. I'm not quite sure if this link will work: https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl. (It might take you to the general search page.)

Once on FreeBMD, you can find out info about how to apply to GRO and then there is a direct link to the site. A scanned certificate currently costs £9.25.

Swooping off to work.

Owl

Martinwwhite

I just spoke to my Aunt, who was only 3 when her father died. She said that she thinks the Stationmaster at Langport East was called Chubb, but for some reason my grandfather was the one who sold and collected tickets, met all of the trains, and opened and closed the station. He was known as Stationmaster White by many people apparently, but it seems he was Stationmaster in everything but name.

The GWR archive at Swindon suggested that I try the British Railway Board for records, but I've had no luck there as yet.

Martin

If your relative was doing the station master's duties on a casual basis who was paying him, if anyone? If not employed by the railways then it looks as if there will be no official records to be found.

I did a general search of the 1911 census for surname Chubb with station master in the 'keyword' box and these two came up. Of course with different key words others may be there.
    Bethnal Green, London
    28 St James Road, Bethnal Green, London, E
    Edward Chubb 48 born Windsor, Dorset, England
    Occupation Railway station master
    3 children born Essex, 2 born Hertfordshire, 3 born London so they did move around a bit.

Church Terrace, St Germans, Cornwall
    Frank Herbert Chubb age 47 born London
    Occupation - Station Master Railway - GWRailway Co
    Wife and 2 year old daughter born in Devonshire

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Default Langport - Castle Cary line

'Morning, Martin...

Though this does not answer your question, here is some more info about that branch line - mainly the opening in 1906: https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/G...astlecary.html.

Have also found a piece in the Somerset County Gazette, 13 Sept 2012, about the closing of the station. It reproduces the news item from 1962. Can't give you the direct link, because there is advertising, but it goes something like this: wwwdotsomersetcountygazettedotcodotuk/Langport-_East_train_station_closing. Just google around and you should get there.

Also have you tried to find old postcards/photos of the station? You could take a look at the Francis Frith collection. Also, just google, google, google the name - you never know what might turn up.

Glad you have been able to talk to your aunt. I hope you will be able to get a copy of your grandfather's death certificate - I still think that is the most reliable way forward.

Swooping off for the rest of the day.

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have all the relevant birth marriage and death certificates where his name and occupation are shown.

Martinwwhite

Hi all,

He was definitely employed by GWR, but in what role officially I don't know. Was there a Deputy Stationmaster role?

It seems odd to me that neither my father nor grandfather show up in the online records collections. I know some records which may be relevant are only in paper form at the National Archives. I may need to visit there one day.

thanks again

Martin

thewideeyedowl

Have you tried the Berkshire Family History Society? Looks as if it might be helpful: https://www.berksfhs.org.uk/cms/Journ...-sep-2003.html.

Owl

Martinwwhite

His death certificate is on its way. Hopefully that will say more than just "Railwayman".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast