Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilmour family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gilmour family

I am trying to find information on the following:-
    William Gilmour Born ?? (New Cumnock area)
    Died 30 10 1881
    Married 1829?
    Katherine Walker Born 18 05 1809
    Died 10 04 1902

Welcome to British-Genealogy

I have moved your post from Family History societies to the Ayrshire forum where our members with special expertise will be more likely to see it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The 1861 census has William born c1810 New Cumnock, occupation is Joiner employing 6 men. Of their children, two, George 16 and Agnes 15 are still at home.

Christina

Added: In 1871 and 1881 he is a farmer of 140 acres. Big change of occupation, birthplace is still New Cumnock in 1810.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Christina,Do you have D.O.B for William Gilmour -c1810- (New Cumnock) and date of death of Janet Reid married to John Gilmour on24.11.1854. Thanks 2764987

Hello

No I don't have date of birth for William, the information I gave is from the censuses however I only have access to the transcriptions on ancestry not the original images.
    ScotlandsPeople is the site you need to look up the marriage and birth records but it is a pay per view site. However you can do a basic search before using credits to sort out the results you get in the time frame.
    On familysearch.org is the marriage
    William Gilmour
    Spouse Catharine Walker
    20 Nov 1828 at Dalmellington, Ayr, Scotland
    However there is no marriage of a William Gilmour in Ayr in 1828 on ScotlandsPeople, but there is one for a Gilmour and Walker marriage in 1828. I don't know which county because I don't have credits to search. It is the same with William Gilmour births 1809 to 1811, none in Ayr but some in other counties, which counties I don't know.
    You need to pay to get the marriage details first which will give you the parents names for both bride and groom which will allow you to go even further back.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello

No I don't have date of birth for William, the information I gave is from the censuses however I only have access to the transcriptions on ancestry not the original images.
    ScotlandsPeople is the site you need to look up the marriage and birth records but it is a pay per view site. However you can do a basic search before using credits to sort out the results you get in the time frame.
    On familysearch.org is the marriage
    William Gilmour
    Spouse Catharine Walker
    20 Nov 1828 at Dalmellington, Ayr, Scotland
    However there is no marriage of a William Gilmour in Ayr in 1828 on ScotlandsPeople , but there is one for a Gilmour and Walker marriage in 1828. I don't know which county because I don't have credits to search. It is the same with William Gilmour births 1809 to 1811, none in Ayr but some in other counties, which counties I don't know.
    You need to pay to get the marriage details first which will give you the parents names for both bride and groom which will allow you to go even further back.

Christina
    Hi Christina,Many thanks.John Murdoch Gilmour married Janet Reid on 24-11-1854. She was born on 10-12-1832 possibly in Mauchline Ayrshire and may have died in dumfriesshire.Any thoughts. Regards 2764987

Meadow View New Cumnock, Ayrshire
    John Gilmour 47 Master joiner employ 5 men and 2 boys born New Cumnock, Ayrshire
    Janet Gilmour 48 Mauchline, Ayrshire
    Robert Gilmour 16 pupil teacher New Cumnock, Ayrshire
    Agnes Gilmour 14 New Cumnock,
    Mary Gilmour 12 New Cumnock
    James Gilmour 9 New Cumnock
    John Gilmour 6 New Cumnock
    Thomas R Gilmour 3 New Cumnock

In 1891 they are in Neriston Kirkconnel Dumfriesshire with Mary 22 and John 16
    In 1901 still in NeristonJohn is retired and daughter Agnes (married name Wilson) and her son William 2 born Glasgow is with them.Using Scotlandpeople and starting with a death date range of 1901 - 2013 and the county Dumfries there was only one hit for a death of a Janet Gilmour. I kept narrowing down the years (first to 1901 to 1920) until I narrowed the year of death to 1903. Now this may or may not be your Janet. She was living in Dumfries in 1901 but there is no guarantee that is where she died. To be absolutely certain you do need to purchase some credits and download the records.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post William Gilmour

Quote Originally Posted by 2764987 View Post
    I am trying to find information on the following:-
    William Gilmour Born ?? (New Cumnock area)
    Died 30 10 1881
    Married 1829?
    Katherine Walker Born 18 05 1809
    Died 10 04 1902
    William was my great great great grandfather on Thomas side married grace Irvine Reid

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gilmour family.

hi,Elaine Steele,Thankyou for your contact.Have you any information regarding William Gilmour's predecessors? 2764987

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by 2764987 View Post
    hi,Elaine Steele,Thankyou for your contact.Have you any information regarding William Gilmour's predecessors? 2764987
    No sorry but I do have a picture x [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast