The Tank

Default William Kenny and J Slater

Whenever I hit a brick wall I always come here as someone can invariably think of something I hadn't tried.

I'm trying to trace two men listed on WW1 memorials in North West Leicestershire. Bagworth has a William Kenny listed and Ibstock has a J Slater (someone suspects it's John).

I started with the census for 1900 and 1911 then tried a BMD search. Next came the Soldiers Died in the Great War and the Abscent Voters List of 1918 has no trace of similar surnames. There are a number of W Kenny's (or Kenney) on the CWGC and a long list of J Slaters but none of them tie the two men to the two villages (or nearby villages for that matter) and I'm hoping someone out there can spot something I've missed.

Cheers

thewideeyedowl

Default William Kenney: Medal Index Card

Have you tried The National Archives for either of these? A quick search produced this Medal Index card for a William Kenney born in Leicestershire in 1898: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D8043585. Might he be your man? A search for (William AND Kenny) AND (1914-1918) produced 153 hits, but I haven't investigated further since many are non-geographical, e.g. 'Cyclist Corps'.

Owl