begaar

Default King's German Legion ex Ipswich

I am trying to trace a soldier that was commissioned as an Ensign in the 3rd line at the age of 16 in 1813 with the King's German Legion.
    I am keen to find if there is a diary of the daily running and the officers listings and duties.
    Plus where and when they traveled during the Waterloo Campain
    In 1814 he was Promoted to Lieutenant.
    And finally being discharged in Hannover in German where he remained and married twice before migrating to Australia.

This soldiers Name was Thomas Augustus CUTTING Bn:c1796 Playford Hall, Suffolk.

Any info or contacts would greatly be of help
    Thank You in advance
    Wayne

thewideeyedowl

Default Check lut The Times, 22 June 1815

Hi begaar

Have you checked the list of killed and wounded that was published in The Times, 22.6.1815? I transcribed the surnames here, in #6: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...June-22nd-1815. I don't think your man's there, but you can follow the further link to read the full text as published in The London Gazette. It will give background ideas, if nothing else.

Owl

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Regiments.org link below have movement of the 3rd line KGL from when they were raised at Bexhill in May 1804 till disbanded at Osnabrück in Feb. 1816.

https://web.archive.org/web/200510292...s/KGL-fLn3.htm

Also some useful links to other site although a little out of date now.

Keith

begaar

Thank you Keith for that link I will look as soon as I get a moment as I have bookmarked it.
    I'll let you know my outcome.

Regards
    Wayne

begaar

Since asking here with ref to the KGL I have found heaps via the Nat Arch and a book called " History of the KGL" Vol 2 and to top that off it was an ebook & free to read via google books.
    Plus through these forums I have been given quite a few links as well.
    So to all those that gave me that extra push I thank you ever so much.

With all that in hand I can now go back to the German Archives and drop a few more hints in " Translated that is "
    which is a pain but if one wants results then that's what one has to do, time consuming yes but you do get results.
    and being on an alert forum also helps, as it save a lot of searching.

Absolutely amazing when you open up another chapter of your genealogy findings not only do you find family you also learn about the history of their era that helps you put it all into place.

If only we had this technology when we were kids our pass marks would be through the roof and we wood all be professors of something - well I'm sure you my meaning?

from down unda
    Wayne