Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Interesting that in the 1901 census of Newark (RG13/3198, folio 17, page 25) Elizabeth is living apart from husband Obadiah at George Street. She is described as a married Charwoman living with children Obadiah & Sarah, boarder George GILLETT and visitor Elizabeth BENTLEY born Metheringham. The 1911 census shows her as a widowed Housekeeper living at 1 Mornington Street, Nottingham in the household of widower John Henry STAGG & family. Husband Obadiah is living at 5 Long Row Newark in the 1901 census with children Henry & Robert (RG13/3197, folio 135, page 36).

There is also another possibility for your Elizabeth SMITH in the 1871 census of Lincoln St Paul (RG10/3374, folio 6, pages 3/4). This Elizabeth is born c1857 in Nettleham and is working as a Servant and living in the household of Thomas PERRIN & family at 20 Bail Gate. Not that I can find her in the 1861 census to see who her parents are! So it is important to purchase the marriage certificate to ascertain who her father is.

Janet

Ataband

Hi, Janet

Yes, I checked with brother-in-law, also in USA and he has confirmed the Lincoln Street address. These are our Obadiah Sr.'s children. He was born in Methingham where his dad, Charles ran the White Hart Inn. Moved to Newark after first wife died and married Elizabeth. Looks like all his sons were involved in boiler making. They had a knack for working with metals. My husband's grandfather, Obadiah, Jr. Became a highly skilled tool and die maker in the auto industry in Detroit. He moved to Union, New Jersey after his first wife died leaving him with four small children. Remarried and worked in the Ford auto company there. My father in law, Robert W. Bell, also was a tool and die maker in NJ.

Regarding Obadiah Sr. absence from home in 1901, my brother-in-law thinks he may have changed his birthdate to 1848 in order to serve in the Boer War. We think his service number was 5952.

Thanks for your help
    1861 Reepham Lin (rough cos you obviously have it)

Moses Smith
    Eldria Smith (nee Gray)
    with their children:
    Thomas
    Sophia
    Emma
    John
    Sarah
    Rabbi
    Walter

Thomas Smith Moses brother
    Charlotte Smith Thomas' wife

Joshua Gray Eldrias brother
    Harriet Brown - one would presume this is his wife considering where she is on the list
    and their children:
    William Smith
    Elisha Smith

Elizabeth Mobbs should read Bethania Gray/Mobbs - mother in law
    Harriet Smith hadnt actually noticed the two harriets before! - this is certainly the right person to be Joshuas wife, being born in Blyborough
    Sophia Smith unknown
    Letitia Mobbs Niece - havent tracked her down yet.

Im very confused now you have pointed it out. Im going to go have another hunt

Letitia Mobbs married Joseph Hitchin at Lincoln in 1864. There is a death on freebmd for a Joseph Hitchin aged 26 in Lincoln.

This would then correspond with the 'Lettice Hitchin, widow' who is at Cross Keys Yard, Lincoln in 1871 with Philistia Smith (as Plister Smith) and his wife Emily, Moses Smith and others.

1871 – Lincoln, Cross Keys Yard
    William Ellett head marr 26 chair bottomer and clothes peg maker, Brigg
    Sarah wife 23 Willoughton
    Plister Smith head mar 27 Keadby
    Emily wife 25 Normanby
    Lettice Hitchins lodger widow 25 Huffam
    John Hitchins son 6 Lincoln
    Clara Hitchins dau 3 Lincoln
    Rebecca Hitchins dau 1 Lincoln
    Moses Smith head widower 59 chair bottomers, pot hawkers and clothes peg makers Harby
    Thomas son marr (in law) 36 Saxilby
    Sophia dau marr 26 Caster (Caistor)
    Thomas son unm 38 Nottinghamshire
    Charlotte (Siberamily?) dau unm 42 Wooton Lincs
    Louisa dau 21 Caistor
    Elizabeth dau 16 Nettleham
    Rebecca dau 15 Nettleham
    Miriam dau 9 Nettleham
    Joseph son 5 Barkworth Lincs
    Betsy dau 9 Lincoln

I've had a look on the Lincolnshire Marriage Index website and it lists the marriage of Letitia and Joseph Hitchin, and gives Letitia's father as James Mobbs. So, if she is niece to Moses and Eldria on the 1861 then her mother must be a sister to one of them (assuming the relationship of niece is correct).

I've got the marriage down on my list of things to check when I can get to the Archives next.

Ataband

Wow! These roots seem a bit tangled up!! Thanks so much for the assistance. I read somewhere that James Mobbs also used last name of Gray. Could he be Eldria's dad??

Ataband

I was looking at another site today and found a post referencing Elizabeth Smith and Obadiah Bell. The writer said that due to inaccuracies on the Moses Smith census, some folks had linked Obadiah Bell to the wrong Elizabeth Smith. I apparently am one of those folks. According to the writer, she is a relative Elizabeth Gray who married Moses's son Joshua and was showing up on census with her married name of Smith. Also reported that her Elizabeth was not born in Nettleham as indicated on Moses' census. Someone responded to her post by looking up Obadiah's marriage certificate which showed Elizabeth's father as James Bell an ag lab. No address given but I'm looking at a Smith family in Nettleham who had a daughter named Elizabeth and a son named George. Perhaps the same George who lived two doors down from married Elizabeth in Newark? In any event, I am very grateful for your help. I am not giving up on our roots, just going to take a breather. Donna B

janbooth

Donna,

The marriage certificate or actual parish register entry of Obadiah & Elizabeth's marriage should tell you if she is a widow or not and give her father's name. This in turn will confirm whether she is the Elizabeth SMITH you thought or Elizabeth SMITH nee GRAY. The GRO reference is September qtr 1874 at Newark reg district, vol 7b, page 541. The certificate can be ordered online from www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ but do check all essential details before ordering.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12