Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I am a descendant of David Mendes and Sarah/Rebecca.

I have managed to research back as far as the marriage of Hannah MENDES and Samuel NATHAN with a paper trail. I have been concentrating on their granddaughter daughter Elizabeth as she is my great grandmother and only now am I prepared to look further back than the marriage of Samuel NATHAN and Hannah MENDES.
    It seems we have a family connection - hello distant cousin!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Researching Lion/Lypms

Quote Originally Posted by justintl1837 View Post
    A real shame, this thread has some good links to my family, just my luck that it's dead and the people posting on it are no longer around. I tried the dutchjewry site and couldn't find most of the people mentioned in this thread on there. Have also had to re-register to post this as my previous account was barred from doing so for some reason.

If someone reading this can assist with finding more info about Peller's etc, do get in touch!

Regards
    Justin

Dear Justin

I am still researching my Lion/Lyons family which was referred to in the above post on British-Genealogy. I am from the Mendel Pellar/Piller/Pila Lion line. Let me know if you wish to discuss, although I am not au fait with it all completely. Mendele Piller Lion was my gggggrandfather

Regards

Rosemarie

Roisin66 could you give details of how you are descended? Hannah MENDES who married Samuel NATHAN is my 3xgreat grandmother. I have made contact with other descendants of Hannah MENDES - they live in Melbourne, Victoria. I would love to be able to add more cousins, however distant, to the family tree and to connect all those cousins through our family newsletter.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Hi all, I just love how every few months I get a notification of a reply to this thread, great to know it's still being looked at!
    I have been on other branches of the tree so have not been on my Lyons side too much, as well as not having really touched the genealogy for a few months so don't really have any more info about my Lyons.
    Just to recap though, Reuben Joseph Lyon/Lion, son of Saul Peller/Pila/Piller is my Gt Gt Gt grandfather. It's possible that Mendele Piller Lion is Saul's brother (from what I can gather). I will have a dig around and try and figure out all these angles and who is related to who, a nice activity for these gradually-getting-colder nights!

Regards
    Justin

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sandra
    We have corresponded previously regarding our common ancestors, Ann and unknown Mr Levy. I posted on the "mendes and simhon families 1700s london" thread some time ago, as I was following up a lead on Ann Levy's maiden surname possibly being Mendes.
    I have just been going over the witness statements relating to the 1853 chancery court case between the two family factions. Just by chance I had been researching a Simon Levy, as he looked as though he could be in the frame for the mysterious Mr levy.
    One of the witnesses that made a statement was an Esther Cohen of 12 Charles Street, Soho Square, Middlesex, the wife of Moses Cohen of the same address. She deposed that she had known of Mrs Ann Isaacs for upwards of 25 years. As the statements were made about 1853, they were acquainted since before 1828.
    On 15 August 1825, Simon Levy, a Salesman of Charles Street, Soho Square, made his will, under which he bequeathed most of his property to his wife Hannah. Bequests were also made to his Brother Nathan Levy and his sister Julia Levy who were then residing in Prague, the Westminster Synagogue, Denmark Place, in the Strand and his sons in law, Moses Jacobs of Charles Street, Glass manufacturer, Mark Emanuel of Panton Street, Haymarket, Salesman, and Abraham Kisch of Beaufort Buildings in the Strand, Tailor.
    Probate seems to have been granted in February 1827.
    Coincidentally, the first record I have of Samuel Isaacs (and possibly Ann Levy) residing at 20 Claremont Terrace, Pentonville was December 1827.
    Investigation suggests that two of Simon's daughters were Sarah (wife of Moses Jacobs) and Isabella (wife of Abraham Kisch). I haven't traced the third daughter.
    Poll books and Land tax records place Simon Levy at 13 Charles Street, Soho Square, so quite possibly Esther Cohen's next door neighbour.
    My imagination is now suggesting that Simon levy died and his wife Hannah, possibly known as Ann, took up with Samuel Isaacs. Unfortunately there is no mention of Isaac, Israel, Ann or Emma, the children of Ann, in Simon's will.
    Simon is also shown as Simcha Halevi and Simcha ben Shmuel and 1756 is his suggested birth date, although this hasn't been factually checked. His wife Hannah may have been Hannah Moses and her birth may have been 1755, although neither facts have been corroborated. This date could put her beyond child bearing as far as Isaac, Israel, Ann and Emma are concerned.
    I can't believe that it is just coincidence that Ann levy knew Esther Cohen at a time when she was probably a neighbour of Simon Levy, and that Simon died not long before Ann took up with Samuel Isaacs.
    I will try to take this further, but if anyone reading this post has any more information about these parties, I would be ever so grateful to hear it.
    Steve Isaacs

Hi Steve
    This is a very interesting post because you have provided new information on the Levy/Jacobs relations.
    My interest is through Moses Jacobs of 12 Charles Street son of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents. I have written widely on some of the lines including in part Moses Jacobs and one of his brothers ( see Moses Jacobs abt 1794-1856;Solomon Jacobs started 3.11.2013).

In particular see the website Jacobs Tree.Homepage of a Jacobs Family Tree. This website is managed by Dave Simpson one of my Jacobs cousins and contains a huge range of data on our lines including Moses Jacobs and Simon Levy.
    I know that one of my Jacobs cousins researched Simon Levy but that was some years ago. In addition, Dr Robert Ward published his research into the various Levy/Lewis and associated families including the Jacobs and posted on this forum.
    I need to refresh my memory on the lines and look again at the earlier research but I suspect the relationships are even closer than first identified.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Follow up to #15 and 16 - the Marriage of my 4x great grandparents Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses can be see on Synagogue Scribes GSM011/9-1793 Nb Kitty adopted the patronymic name of her father and called herself Kitty Moses. Her father's Hebrew name is MOSHE COHEN and he is the grandfather of Moses Jacobs and my 5x great grandfather.

See JewishGen UK Data base for Moses Jacobs. His insurance records show he was at 12 Charles Street Soho between 1819-1828.

Whether or not my Jacobs/Moses aka Cohen lines relate even more closely to the Levy/Cohen as per #15 needs further research.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Steve
    This is a very interesting post because you have provided new information on the Levy/Jacobs relations.
    My interest is through Moses Jacobs of 12 Charles Street son of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents. I have written widely on some of the lines including in part Moses Jacobs and one of his brothers ( see Moses Jacobs abt 1794-1856;Solomon Jacobs started 3.11.2013).

In particular see the website Jacobs Tree.Homepage of a Jacobs Family Tree. This website is managed by Dave Simpson one of my Jacobs cousins and contains a huge range of data on our lines including Moses Jacobs and Simon Levy.
    I know that one of my Jacobs cousins researched Simon Levy but that was some years ago. In addition, Dr Robert Ward published his research into the various Levy/Lewis and associated families including the Jacobs and posted on this forum.
    I need to refresh my memory on the lines and look again at the earlier research but I suspect the relationships are even closer than first identified.
    Thank you for that Phillip. I have started to look at the Jacobs Tree, and something that hit me straight away was that Lewis (Capua) Pesman married into the family. Hannah Andrea de Ishac Hain Fano was the second wife of Lewis's grandfather, Mordecai Capua, and she was the friend of Ann Levy that left her a mourning ring in her will. So this all looks promising.

Steve,you refer to the Newton v Moses 1853 Chancery Court case. I know the UK National Archives has the case but in the meantime which Maurice Newton is he? I ask because Maurice Newton the attorney c1807-1867 is Morris Nathan and was a cousin of Lawrence Levy and brother of Lawrence Isaac Nathan and a cousin of Henry Levy. Lawrence Levy married Rebecca Jacobs. These are the Levy/Jacobs et al identified and described by Robert Ward ( his wife is a Jacobs cousin ) in his book Wealth and Notoriety the extraordinary families of William Levy and Charles Lewis of London.lulu publications April 2013.

If he is another Maurice Newton is he the one who married Catherine Cantor in 1843.
    I can see all the wills etc plus have access to the Jewish Chronicle Archives and other sources so can see the various lines.

Any clarification appreciated and how did you access the Chancery Court case?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Steve,you refer to the Newton v Moses 1853 Chancery Court case. I know the UK National Archives has the case but in the meantime which Maurice Newton is he? I ask because Maurice Newton the attorney c1807-1867 is Morris Nathan and was a cousin of Lawrence Levy and brother of Lawrence Isaac Nathan and a cousin of Henry Levy. Lawrence Levy married Rebecca Jacobs. These are the Levy/Jacobs et al identified and described by Robert Ward ( his wife is a Jacobs cousin ) in his book Wealth and Notoriety the extraordinary families of William Levy and Charles Lewis of London.lulu publications April 2013.

If he is another Maurice Newton is he the one who married Catherine Cantor in 1843.
    I can see all the wills etc plus have access to the Jewish Chronicle Archives and other sources so can see the various lines.

Any clarification appreciated and how did you access the Chancery Court case?
    Sorry Phillip, I fear I have misled you. When I wrote "I have just been going over the witness statements relating to the 1853 chancery court case between the two family factions" I was referring to the case reference C 14 1147 I J33, involving Ann (Levy) Isaacs, Isaac Levy Isaacs, Israel levy Isaacs, Samuel Isaacs, Abraham Garcia etc.
    I got the information from the National Archives a few years back, but I was going over documents again to see if any subsequent research shed new light on them.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast