Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Calliope

Thank you very much for that. I might well contact the CWGC to add his name. I hadn't realised you could do that, and it's a shame that he should be forgotten. I didn't even know I had a great grandfather who'd been killed in WW1 until I started this research.

Best

Jane

my great great grandpa was john hovelsrond Anderson he died on the ss calliope when it was torpedoed.there is a monument with my great great great grandpas name on it.

he was my grandpas grandpa! david chalmers Anderson mother ann bell chalmers Anderson,spouse Isabella Anderson of 3 hiltown Dundee.age john hovelsrond died was 38.date of his death 9.07.1917.there is a memorial I found PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL his name is on there.i might have a photo og him will ask my brother.my grandpa david chalmers Anderson was the most funniest beautiful kindest man I ever knew & loved.have heaps of pics of him
    my name was Anderson..Janine.my nanny was jean melville Anderson born 1908.she was a gorgeous nanny I loved so very much.

jane contact me I want to know how we are related?

please contact me he was my great great grandpa too!!!!!! he was a whaler as well my grandpa used to tell me stories about him.david chalmers Anderson 1908.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Please note that anderson annan has her own thread about John Hovelsrond Anderson (and other family including his son David).
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...cane-(anderson)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Severina View Post
    Thank you very much for that. I might well contact the CWGC to add his name. I hadn't realised you could do that, and it's a shame that he should be forgotten. I didn't even know I had a great grandfather who'd been killed in WW1 until I started this research.

Best

Jane
    Thanks to anderson annan in her post #13 I found this on the CWGC site.
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...nderson,-john/

If you scroll down to 'grave registration', you'll see that his name was there from the beginning.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by anderson annan View Post
    jane contact me I want to know how we are related?
    Thank you so much for posting this - I was so excited to read it. I'd actually forgotten all about posting on the website, so it was a lovely surprise. We must be related, although I'm not sure what you'd call our relationship - a cousin, of some sorts? My gran, Jean Anderson, was David's sister, so your grandpa would have been my great uncle. I've just spoken to mum, and she met him when he came over from Australia once with his wife, but I was too young to remember him. Dad loved your grandpa, and often used to speak about him. I'd love to hear stories about John - I've found it pretty tricky to find out much about him, and would love to know more about you, too. So please tell me about yourself! Jane

A fountain of knowledge

There is a page about Calliope, including mention of John Anderson, on The Wreck Site: www dot wrecksite dot eu. It appears there were two Calliopes sunk in 1917. Put the name in the search box and select the first that appears in a drop down list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12