Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    flexipet

Default Baker and Stephens family

I am trying to track down some information on my ancestors: Samuel Baker married Harriet Stephens at Forest Green Chapel Nailsworth on the 31/07/1834.
    Their first child Mary Anne was baptised in the same chapel on 18/10/1835.
    I am trying to discover who Harriet Stephens and Samuel Baker's parents were (and if they had siblings) as there are no indications on death certificates. (They emigrated to Australia aboard the Lima in 1849 - Samuel was a school teacher and a reverend).
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thankyou!

Have you tried the 1841 census? While it's not quite as informative as the later ones, one can sometimes get very lucky.
    Do you know which religious denomination he was a Minister for? Some of the Churches have published lists of their clergy.

Reputation beyond repute

Samuel Baker married Harriet Stephens at Forest Green Chapel Nailsworth on the 31/07/1834.
    What does the marriage register say about their respective home parishes? If you're only working from an index, you need to get hold of a copy of the actual register entry.

janbooth

There is a previous thread on this couple entitled "Lone Child's Grave Deal Island Bass Strait" which was started by minack on 3 March 2012. If you haven't already seen it, there may be added information for you. I took a quick look at this thread and one of the contributors had found Samuel & Harriet plus children in the 1841 census of St Peters, Shaftsbury, Dorset.

Janet

janbooth

I cannot find a baptism for a Harriet STEPHENS/STEVENS at Nailsworth Forest Green Chapel, but there do appear to be 2 STEVENS families having children baptised there around about the time of Harriet's birth (going by her age in the 1841 census). One couple is a Benjamin & Ann STEVENS who had a son William born 12 Feb 1818 who was baptised at the Chapel on 16 Sep 1821 plus a daughter Eliza born 1 Feb 1821 and baptised on the same day and the other is a James & Mary STEVENS who had a daughter Maria born 13 Dec 1820 and baptised at the Chapel on 16 Sep 1821. Both couples were from Avening and the source is Ancestry's Non-Conformist Births and Baptisms Registers.

Janet

flexipet

Hi everyone and thanks for your responses.
    Lesley, yes I have a copy of the 1841 census with the family being listed in Muston's Lane in Dorset. I have searched for their respective parents in Dorset in the hope that they may have lived their but so far have been unsuccessful.
    I am of the belief that Samuel Baker was of the Presbyterian Church as he was very much involved with them in Maitland Australia.
    Peter, I have only found the index for their marriage and so far but not located the actual register entry.
    Jan, I did read the previous thread a while ago regarding the Lone child's grave on Deal Island" and she is definitely an ancestor. it proved interesting reading and did fill in a few gaps for my research in Australia. it is just unfortunate that Harriet Baker's death did not seem to be registered and Samuel Baker's certificate has "unknown" parentage. I shall have a look at the other Avening baptisms you mentioned and see if I can glean some more information.
    Thanks once again,
    Nicole.

janbooth

Perhaps this could be connected to your Harriet, Nicole. Doing a Google Search for Benjamin STEPHENS/STEVENS and his wife Ann nee COLE (married at Horsley in 1815 according to Gloucs FHS Marriage Index), I came across the following relating to a Private Thomas WALKER who died 20 April 1878 at East Maitland:

His spouse was Eliza STEPHENS daughter of Benjamin STEPHENS & Ann COLE. Benjamin STEPHENS was baptised 17 January 1790 at Nailsworth, Gloucestershire and died 2 March 1863 at Merriwa, N.S.W. Ann COLE was baptised 15 August 1790 at Horsley and died 21 May 1853 at East Maitland, N.S.W. Eliza WALKER nee STEPHENS is presumably the same Eliza whose birth/baptism I found above and it is a coincidence that Benjamin & Ann STEPHENS/STEVENS were obviously at Maitland at around the same time as Samuel & Harriet BAKER nee STEPHENS.

Perhaps worth further investigation??

Janet

janbooth

Just found the Married Female Immigrant record for Ann STEVENS:

Arrived 3 September 1839 aboard the Bussorah Merchant Ann STEVENS, aged 46, a native of Horsley, Gloucestershire daughter of William CAUL & his wife Elizabeth. 3 male children Enoch & Elijah, twins aged 11 & George Hay aged 6 (William aged 21 a Labourer is crossed out presumably because the age limit is between 1 and not exceeding 18). 3 female children Eliza aged 19 a Nursery Maid, Ellen aged 18 a House Maid & Charlotte aged 14 a Nursery Maid.

Just in case it turns out to be relevant.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 22-04-2014 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Extra text

janbooth

A bit more info from the Maitland Mercury dated 25 May 1853 (via TROVE website):

"At the School House, East Maitland, on Saturday May 21 , Ann the beloved wife of Mr Benjamin STEPHENS of Hinton, aged 63 years; deeply regretted by her family and friends"

and from the issue dated 10 March 1863: "At Phoenix Park, on 2nd instant, after a short illness Mr Benjamin STEPHENS, aged 77 years at the residence of his son"

Janet

flexipet

Thanks all,
    Jan I shall have a look at all these avenues you have provided. Never know where they may lead!
    Thanks,
    Nicole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast