tim_allen

Default North Hill, Northumberland

I have an ancestor, Robert Leighton, who according to the 1861 census was born in North Hill, Northumberland, in about 1813.

Can anyone tell me where North Hill was/is? I haven't managed to find any such place in any gazetteer or online map that I can find.

In case anyone can connect at all with my ancestor, his father was also named Robert, he married Elizabeth Swinbank in Durham in 1843, had numerous children (including Alice Ann, my ancestor), and died in Durham in 1879.

I've found an IGI baptism record for a Robert Leighton, son of Robert and Eleanor, in Ingram, Northumberland, in 1815, but have no idea if this might be my ancestor. On a map I've seen that there is an "East Hill" right next to Ingram, so surmise there might be a North Hill somewhere in the vicinity, but that's purely a guess.

Can anyone offer information or suggestions?

Reputation beyond repute

"I have an ancestor, Robert Leighton, who according to the 1861 census was born in North Hill, Northumberland, in about 1813."

Where was he enumerated? It sometimes happens that the degree of precision in stating a birthplace is inversely proportional to the distance from the birthplace.

tim_allen

He was enumerated in Nova Scotia, registration district Chester Le Street, Co Durham.

So some distance away, but not a huge distance.

Hi

This may help you rule out the Ingram baptism

On the 1871 Census for Rochester, Northumberland there is a Robert LEIGHTON widower, aged 55, a Merchant Tailor, born Ingram Northumberland.

I've also looked at the 1861 Census entry for your Robert Leighton. The birthplace reads Northumberland North Shields.

Regards

Helen K
    Last edited by Lindores; 18-09-2005 at 1:42 PM.

tim_allen

Thanks very much, Helen! And no thanks to whoever transcribed the census for 1837online.com :-). I had wondered whether it could be a transcription error. Anyway, at least I know where North Shields is, so I have some basis for looking further.

Tim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Tim,

You have probably solved your query, given the time elapsed, but I'm new to the site and thought I'd touch base as I believe we are fourth cousins.

I am also descended from Robert Leighton and Elizabeth Swinbank, via William b 1851 (Ann Alice's brother), Robert b 1877, Laura b 1913 and John b 1939 (my late father).
    I agree with Helen that he was born in North Shields (Billy Mill to be precise) to Robert (b 1769) and Alice Graham and I have a birth date of 31st May 1812, with baptism on 11th August 1913 in Bishop Wearmouth. Robert and Alice were married on 30th July 1812.
    Alice was Robert's second wife (out of three) - there was a Robert born to wife number one (Ann) in September 1795 in Chester-le-Street but he died in 1802 so this cannot be the Robert who married Eleanor and had yet another Robert in Ingram? His father Robert (b 1769) married Ann on 23rd Dec 1795, two months after his first Robert was born.
    Sorry - that's a bit convoluted - too many Roberts!
    Happy to fill in our branch of the tree if you don't already have the info.
    Kind Regards
    Julie