Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wendyar

Iain. Sent you private message " Message from Wendy R----- in Australia. Please let me know if you do not receive it.
    Wendy.

IainCoates

You should have received a direct email response.

Iain

IainCoates

I have access to the Scotsman website. The details of the funeral are as follows:

THE LATE Mr A. B. STIRLING. – The funeral of Mr Stirling took place to Warriston Cemetery on Saturday afternoon from his house in Edinburgh, whither the remains had been removed from Thankerton on Thursday. Had the University been is session at present, there would doubtless have been a large attendance of students, by whom the deceased was held in high esteem, but as it was the company was confined to the relatives of Mr Stirling, such of the professors as were in town, and a number of medical gentlemen.

Scotsman 26 Sept 1881.

This confirms that he is buried in Warriston cemetery. The challenge would probably be finding the stone. I will see whether anybody I know has a copy of the cemetery MI.

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/director...iston_cemetery

You could contact the above site. Having the exact date of burial greatly reduces searching.

There is an on line facility here but have drawn a blank -

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&CRid=1974326
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

wendyar

I do have obituary and yes it is for Archibald Buchanan Stirling. A relative in Australia had an original cutting from The Scotsman, stored in an old tea caddy! Quite yellowed and fragile but she was able to photocopy it. She did not think anyone would ever be interested. Just amazing where these old treasures turn up. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. IainCoates has found the funeral notice with the burial details.
    Wendy.

I took a "walk" through the cemetery by googling "Warriston Cemetery images"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

wendyar

I belong to findagrave and Billion Graves. I can place a memorial for him on both. The Warriston Cemetery info has a direct email address in place. I will enquire about a plot and stone but if anyone finds something before me, do let me know!
    Looks like the cemetery is very run down in parts. It is comforting to know that there is still an interest in it. Some of the older cemeteries in Australia were bulldozed due to the shallow graves and poor condition. Few records remain for some of them.

wendyar

helachau, I searched for Warriston Cemetery many times in the hope of finding more images, only to view the same scant group of photos. Strangely, last night I searched again and located dozens!! What a curious place it appears to be now. Old Uncle Archie would be in his element, having held the position of a gamekeeper in his earlier career and his later work at the Edinburgh University. Bit of a catch 22 situation at the cemetery with the nature reserve on one hand and overgrown headstones and monuments on the other. I am all for preserving the large trees but would like to see the brambles removed for the sake of preserving the graves for future generation. The families must have spent a fortune on some of them!!
    Wendy

wendyar

Thumbs up A.B. Stirling - Warriston Cemetery

Thank you to everyone who has helped with this request. Your time and effort is very much appreciated. With assistance, I now have the Section, Plot, and other family buried there. For any researchers interested in the Stirlings, the results can be found on Find a Grave.
    Wendy

CarolineEdin

Hello, I'm the Secretary of the Friends of Warriston Cemetery and I've just come across this thread. We aim, over a period of some years, to clear excess ivy and invasive weeds so that all the memorials may be read. There was a gravstone to AB Stirling recorded by the Scottish Genealogy Society some 20-odd years ago. Whether it's visible now is another matter! I'll check next week. It's in an area which is particularly bad, but we may be lucky. If it's covered, we can get permission from Edinburgh Council to clear it for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast