Indigo_Child

Default Coming from Australia to Devon in late 1800's

I have just discovered that one of my ancestors married William James Powell (Or James William Powell depending on which Devon census/record you believe!)born 1864 in East Maitland, Australia. I'm not at all familiar with how Australia is set up for BMD, don't know of Tasmania is included as part of the Australian BMD, and haven't got a clue how to trace when he left Australia to go to Britain. Help would be much appreciated!

A fountain of knowledge

What is the first UK census you have him in? It might help to find when he departed from Australia.

A fountain of knowledge

Is this his marriage?

Marriages Jun 1898
    POWELL William James Plymouth 5b 514a
    Vanstone Sarah Jane Plymouth 5b 514a
    ========================

William James Powell
    Marriage
    Devon
    Age 28
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1870
    Spouse's Name Sarah Jane Vanston

Indigo_Child

That's the one! I'm still searching for them in the 1901 census but this afternoon, in the 1911 census, his name was listed as "James William Powell" born 1860. He and his wife were living with his wife's mother in Plymouth at the very same address his mother-in-law had lived for years and years (which is how I found him!) His trade was "Coach builder, Wheelwright, HM s Gunwharf" I'm only going to search another 2 hours before I unsubscribe to my free trial with Ancestry.co.uk though so not sure if I'll find anything.

Indigo_Child

Just noticed something hinky with all this information. "my" Sarah jane was born in 1858 which in 1911 would make her about 53, NOT the 49 she's admitting to!! I've found this in a couple of other female ancestors where they fast and loose with their ages. I'm for sure positive that this my relative even when she's shaving a few years off her age in the 1911 census. Now, "her" William James Powell was born about 1864. I guess what I'll have to do is get the darned marriage certificate and get the exact details (although if Sarah Jane fudged her age on a marriage certificate won't help! My mother did so a time-old family trait!)

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There is a birth in 1865 of a male child to Henry and Maria J Powell at Maitland NSW, maybe this is him.