Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dads records

sue rees

Default My dads records

Hi I`m looking to find my dads Army records , I did find them but its not a great help to me , It don`t say when he joined , where he served . I feel like i have wasted money as i have got no info what so ever
    regards
    sue

jac65

Hi

If your father served after the 1920s then his Service Records would still be held by the Ministry of Defence. The link below has information about applying for them.

https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

If you are looking for WW1 Service records then surviving records are on Ancestry website (some 60% were destroyed by fire during WW2)

Andy

Reputation beyond repute

You may like to read this National Archives guide and if there's anything there you don't understand or want more information on, get back to us.

sue rees

Hi Peter , Thank you for the reply i`m new to this and don`t really understand the guide , I though that it would have all dad`s info on the page with his name , I wonts to find out when he joined, where he was sent , all the thing he did when he was in the army so i can tell the grand children , they asked about there grand dad and i can`t give them the answers
    regards
    sue

Hello Sue and welcome to British-Genealogy

The National Archives site can be a bit of a pain to negotiate but is a gold mine of information on many topics.

If your father served in WW11 the only way to get the information you want to pass on to your grandchildren is to click on the link in post #2 that Andy gave then scroll down until you see this in a box

"To receive a copy of your own Service records or Service records relating to a deceased Service person, click here."

On the next page make sure you read all the instructions, including the bit about the 30 pound charge

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Sue, I see that this message is currently in the WW1 forum (1914-1918). Is this correct? If your father served in WW2, I or one of the other Moderators can move the thread for you if you want.

Assuming that it is WW1, I'm curious. When you say that you found his Army records, where did you find them? Most WW1 service records were destroyed by fire during WW2, but the few that have survived are usually very informative (if not always easily legible). Could it be his medal card that you have found?
    If you tell us a bit more about him, it'll help us to help you.

sue rees

Sorry it was WW2 my dad served , My Dads name was Frank A George date of birth 15/ july 1921 , He was born in Bristol , My uncle said he took the Queens shilling and went to India , This is the info i found on here !!!!!!!!
    1st initials: F A
    Surname: George
    Nationality: British
    Rank (2nd): Lieutenant (War Substantive)
    Campaign Medals:
    War Medal 1939-1945
    war medal 1939-1945As with most Armed Forces Serving Personal during the conflict of World War Two, F A George was entitled to the War Medal 1939-1945. This medal was awarded to all full time service personnel who had completed 28 days service between 3rd September 1939 and the 2nd September 1945. Eligible personnel who had been “Mentioned In Despatches” during the War were entitled to wear a bronze oak leaf emblem on the ribbon. Those eligible for a campaign star, yet who had their service cut short by death, wounds or capture by the enemy, still qualified for this medal.
    1939-45 Star
    1939-45 star Given the information available to us it is likely that F A George was awarded the 1939-45 Star for operational Service in the Second World War between 3rd September 1939, and 2nd September 1945.
    F A George would have been awarded this star if their service period was terminated by their death or disability due to service. Also the award of a gallantry medal or “Mention In Despatches” also produced the award of this medal, regardless of their service duration.
    Fighter Aircraft Crew who took part in the Battle of Britain (10 July to 31 October 1940) were awarded the "Battle of Britain" bar to this medal. In undress uniform, a silver-gilt rosette was worn on the medal ribbon to denote the award of this clasp.
    Service: British Army
    Regiment: Royal Corps Of Signals
    Royal Corps Of Signals during World War 2
    Royal Corps of Signals
    More information about Royal Corps of Signals
    Last edited by sue rees; 31-03-2014 at 5:02 PM. Reason: for got to say thank you

OK, I've moved it into the WW2 area. It doesn't make much difference while the thread stays on the "new messages" list, but once incoming replies slow down, it's better for it to be where those with an interest in that era will see it.

A lot of what you've posted above looks like background and explanations of terms. I'll leave it to the FWR people to explain it - it looks as though it's suggesting that he was in Signals, but I'm not sure.
    Did he survive the war? I can only find one FA George (Frank Albert, an ordinary seaman of the merchant Navy in the CWGC database.

A fountain of knowledge

Be very careful the person is the same as you seek -the surname George is not enough on it's own.
    The listing you have seen on FWR is an entry from 'the army list' which list officers only -although it IS the official record of the army at that.
    This record show s the FA George listed was made a 2nd Lieutenant (the lowest commissioned officer rank) for the duration of the war only and he was in the Royal signals regiment -unless that definitely rings a bell as your relative then you should discount it.

WWII 'service records' (which are not one collection but a few in fact) are restricted and kept only by the MOD for many, many years after service -the veterans-um website has forms you can complete to apply for these, no one else has them.

The FWR site does have some records from this era although not service records per se (nor does anyone else except the MOD to be fair), and they DO show what is in each record BEFORE payment -it shows the specific fields on a blurred record when you click on the name -so you don't have to pay if you only want specific data on only one specific person- VERY useful.

Hello again Sue
    Thanks to Lesley's sharp eyes it has been established that your Dad served in WW11 which means you can only get his war records from the MOD.

Go back to post #2 by Andy (jac65) where he gives the link to the veterans site which explains how to apply for your Dad's records.

If you are not sure that the record you found belongs to your Dad it may be better to give only the information you know to be fact,

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast