Pubsindex

Exclamation 1 Luxborough Street, Marylebone, London W1

Hi All,
    Can anyone please tell me what was located at the above address c1950? Could it have been a medical institution of some kind? The site has subsequently been redeveloped and Camden Council say they have no record of it ... Help!

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

From memory I think their was a workhouse around that area.
    It was St. Marylebone now Westminster Council not Camden.
    Luxborough Street was called Northumberland Street before the council changed it name.

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/StMarylebone/

Keith

Found a report of a 1940 wedding which included "Following a reception at 1, Luxborough Street, London, W1, Mr and Mrs_______ left for an unknown destination"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

It appears to have been St Marylebone Workhouse also known as Luxborough House or 1 Northumberland Street or 2 Luxborough Street. It looks like it was also sometimes known as 1 Luxborough Street.

What's the context?

Reputation beyond repute

After 1949 it was known as Luxborough Lodge. It may have been primarily an old peoples' institution. It was replaced by the London Polytechnic and flats.

? - was Luxborough Street originally called Northumberland Street

Yes - probably changed 1936 - 39, but possibly 1929-1945 (London Street name changes)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know the detailed history but the present day Luxborough Street (see Streetmap) is where the old Northumberland Street was (see the Workhouse web site)

Pubsindex

Hi All,
    Many thanks for ALL the input which very interesting.
    One point arises: I was under the impression that the workhouse system had been done away with by 1953 ...
    Any comments?

Reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the workhouse system had been done away with by 1953
    And so it was. The institutions and buildings were handed over to NHS or local authorities. Luxborough Lodge became a council-run old peoples' home. It would actually have been run by the council from 1930 when the Boards of Guardians were wound up.

Hansard
    HC Deb 13 May 1959 vol 605 cc150-1W

Mr. Kershaw asked the Minister of Health when one of his Department's officials last visited the old people's home at Luxborough Lodge, London; and the nature of his report.

Mr. Walker-Smith On 25th September, 1957, to look into complaints made by a resident which were found to be substantially unfounded.

I take it this stemmed from an address on a death certificate.

See the explanation on the Workhouse web site under "Workhouse Addresses"