Default Soldier Lookup Please!

Hi There,

Please can someone help me on a lookup on any army record (1911-1920) on my grandfather William Flanagan.

William Flanagan b.1886 Waterford, Ireland.

I have William a PRIVATE on the 1911 UK Census in Quetta Baluchistan, India stationed there with the 2 Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Kind Regards
    Gary

thewideeyedowl

Default Medal Index Card

Hi Gary

I've just had a quick look for a Medal Index Card at TNA. The search for a William Flanagan produced these five hits. Perhaps one of these is your man:https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...=&_fr=&_st=adv.

Over to you.

Owl
    Last edited by thewideeyedowl; 23-03-2014 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Hi Owl,

Thankyou so much for answering my message, and pointing out 5 possibles of being my grandfather.

I frequently go to the National Archives at kew, so i'll be back there soon to lookup the references.

Owl sorry i forgot to add a bit more info on my William, is that on his marriage certificate in 1916 in Cork,Ireland it states Williams profession as a serjeant of the Leinster Regiment.

Regards
    Gary

Reputation beyond repute

(1911-1920)
    Why do you specify that range of dates? Is it because you know he was not in the army after 1920? Or did he die then?

He appears to have been a regular so if he stayed in the Army after WW1, you would have to apply to MoD for his service record.

thewideeyedowl

Hi Gary

The second one on the list is a 'serjeant':

Medal card of Flanagan, William. Corps: Royal Irish Fusiliers. Regiment No: 8675. Rank: Serjeant.
    War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Medal card of Flanagan, William. Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Irish Fusiliers 8675 Serjeant.

Perhaps he's yours.

Swooping off now.

Owl