Madcap

Default Oh! Yes of course.

Hi,

My name is Tim and I slipped into this forum a couple of days ago. I first started researching back in 1988 and within six weeks or so managed to get back to circa 1816 ... my lot moved around over lapping and back tracking making it a little harder though within another six years or so I had got back to 1768. Over the following years I have taken breaks and then swept back into the research with a renewed vigor tracking down a few strays has given me some satisfaction even though essentially it was a glimpse into their good times and sorrow just as it is for all of us.

I'm not really sure if I was given some family lore or just some stuff and nonsense to shut up an over inquisitive 9 year old. When pestered by me my paternal grandfather said "all I know is there was a man who had two sons and one of them went back to the place they all came from". Now as Metcalf/e is a Yorkshire surname I'm guessing that this reference if true referred to coming from within a couple of generations. By some strange coincidence my grandfathers father was one of two sons and both left their birth place in Aldeby Norfolk ... George travelling roughly 20 miles to Sutton in Norfolk, as luck would have it these parish records are largely illegible, though he married in a nearby parish. While James appears in London on the census some 20 years later...I'm keeping an open mind as whether or not the story has any worth

Welcome to British-Genealogy Tim

I have noticed your contributions to some of our threads and know that you are finding your way around the forums just fine.

You at least were curious enough about your ancestors as a child to ask questions before it was too late. Too many of us are now saying "I wish I had asked before ?? died."

An open mind is essential when investigating family stories - true? gilding the lily? hiding shameful (to them) facts? No wonder we feel compelled to take a break from them all sometimes.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Tim
    I have separated some replies to your Introduce Yourself thread from here and moved them to RAF-Military Here as it was becoming a research Q and A. As Lesley said it will get more attention in this forum.

Oh and I gave it a new title. If you don't like it I can change it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

MelissaJKelly

Wow Tim. You've done so well to get back so far! How exciting!! I'm super jealous!