Wilkes_ml

Default Deal Baptism Registers

Whilst researching my ancestor's brother, I have come across baptisms of his children in the registers that are now online (via FMP). However, there appears to be a duplicate register, so it looks as though one of the children was baptised twice on the same day at Deal...once at St. Leonard, and once at St. George by the same curate. I think it is highly unlikey he was baptised twice at different churches, but more likely that one of the registers is a copy. The one indexed as "St. Leonard" is in the correct format book for baptisms post 1813, whereas the one indexed as "St George" looks like a copy book, or draught book, that goes back prior to 1812..

I can't see a quick way to get to the front of the "St. George Register" so working my way back page by page to see if there is a title page.

In the meantime, does anyone know about this anomoly and know which would be the correct church where the baptism took place?

If anyone wants to have look, the child was William Loop Giles baptised 4th February 1814 son of Richard & Mary.

updated: I got to the front of the St. George register and there was no title, just the refernce nomber U3/67/1/4 so I will contact Canterbury Archives to see if they can shed any light on it
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 17-03-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: update

St George was formerly a chapelry to St Leonard. Any baptisms listed before 1852 were copies of the mother church. An imformative book on East Kent Parishes has been written by David Wright. ISBN 0 9517580 1 2