Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Searching for father of Symond Broughton

Symond Broughton, husband of Anise Chamberlaine, died in Barbados in 1652. Who was his father? Thanks for any suggestions! : )

Welcome to Brit-Gen

Putting Symond Broughton in to a search engine certainly brings up a lot of hits. . Unfortunately with the quick scan of some of the sites I did there was no mention of Symond's parentage as you know.
    I did enjoy reading his will though and the bequest to Anise of 4000 lbs of tobacco if she didn't remarry until his heir came of age!

They sound a very interesting family and you have been fortunate to have gone so far back with them.

I can't help but others may be able to offer some suggestions.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

There is a Family Tree on Ancestry which suggests that Symond was born c1602 in Derbyshire and that his parents were a Gowen Jr BROUGHTON & Jane STOMFORDE but unfortunately no real sources for this information shown.

Ancestry Select Derbyshire Marriages have the record of a Gawnius BROUGHTON & a Jana ROWBOTHAM at All Saints Derby on 18 June 1599 followed by baptisms at All Saints of children Adrianus on 2 June 1600, then another marriage for a Gawen BROUGHTON at All Saints on 14 January 1615/16 to an Anne HARISON followed by baptisms of children Thomas on 14 January 1616/17 and Edvardus on 13 December 1618, both at All Saints but whether any of this connects to your Symond is purely speculative at the moment as there is no definite link.

There is also a transcription of the will of Edward CHAMBERLAINE of Barbados dated 20 July 1673 in which he names his nephew & niece James & Ann BRAUGHTON but you may well have this information already.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Symond Broughton

Quote Originally Posted by Braughton View Post
    Symond Broughton, husband of Anise Chamberlaine, died in Barbados in 1652. Who was his father? Thanks for any suggestions! : )

Symond was either the son of Henry or William Broughton who immigrated to Barbados in 1635. The two were half brothers. Records were not well kept- it appears Symond may have went to England and married then returned back to Barbados with his new bride. They traveled to Virginia as well it appears with the Chamberlains and returned to Barbados. James Broughton the son of Symond immigrated to Maryland in 1668 his sister Rebecca left Barbados and immigrated to Virginia. This much I have dug up- but there is far more digging to do. After looking at one line of Broughton names- and books suggest Henry was the father. but I have not seen any directly say that.