Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can't find Christopher on Orkney. 1805-1815, but there are quite a lot of other Slaters so I think that it might be worth checking whether any parish registers have not survived. Their available can be patchy and unpredictable (eg one parish for my family has bap registrations back to the late 1600s, but marriages stop at 1821...
    Take a look at the liist on GENUKI - the link is in #6.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I can't find Christopher on Orkney. 1805-1815, but there are quite a lot of other Slaters so I think that it might be worth checking whether any parish registers have not survived. Their available can be patchy and unpredictable (eg one parish for my family has bap registrations back to the late 1600s, but marriages stop at 1821...
    Take a look at the liist on GENUKI - the link is in #6.
    Thanks Lesley you've been very helpful.

Marriages notices in newspapers often identify bride's/groom's father but not in this case unfortunately.

Gore's Liverpool General Advertiser, 29 Sep 1836
    "Same day (21st Sep), at St Michael's Church, Toxteth Park, Mr Christopher Slater, of Scotland, to Miss Ann Curry, of Toxteth Park."

The Liverpool Mercury, 27 Aug 1878, death notice gave his age as 68.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Many thanks for bringing it to my attention. Strange that a notice was put in the paper given that they weren't, as far as i can make out anyone of note i.e famous, rich etc.

If you can judge my my research, it seems to have been a matter of family tradition - some people announced their BMDs, others didn't. They generally had to pay for the announcement...

The "hatch, match and despatch" columns certainly weren't the preserve of the rich or famous!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12